• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
GEzell

my KITH, WIP

Well I've finally settled on a design...

SDC13495_zps18742779.jpg

Basically a big kard. Mine will be hidden tang, but this will be the basic shape. The billet has been made and rough forged, but still needs a bit more forge work before I can begin grinding.... I'm going with a 4 bar Turkish pattern. The handle will be African blackwood, unless I change my mind.

Edited by GEzell

And here is the billet....

DSCN0033_zpsbedfd0cd.jpg

Pretty, isn't it?...:)

Since the picture was taken the tang has been forged out and a few other adjustments made in the forge, and rough ground. Need to do some filework to true up the tang/bolster junction and the blade/bolster junction, then she'll be ready to heat-treat. I did a quick etch to peek at the pattern, and I am pleased....

More pictures soon...

Heat-treated, finished out to 220, and with a quick etch.... time to start working on the handle.

DSCN0042_zpsec1ea7e2.jpg

You can see the sandpaper graveyard from here....:)

Yes sir George, I knew this one would be pretty when you told me you were gonna do a kard. What are you thinking for the handle?

Gary T

I have 2 pieces of African blackwood, but they are both in the 'barely big enough' category... I love the monochromatic effect of a damascus blade with a solid-black handle, but I might end up having to use something else.

that is one hell of a pattern Gezell

Thanks man! Basically you take a bar of 22 layer damascus, draw it out to a 1/2" octagon cross-section, cut into 4 bars, twist half of them one way and half the other, then weld them together... this gives you your basic 4 bar composite Turkish pattern. I wish I'd gotten the twists a bit more uniform, this is something I need to work on.

It is cooling off next week, I'll be doing the handle work then I think (90+ temps and 90+ humidity is getting old).... love this time of year!

Man I've god some iron wood it's pretty dark from age but the slabs are about 2x4 inches

Well, she's finished except for a sheath and a final honing. I decided to go with briar for the handle, and I gotta admit I love how it turned out.

DSCN0046_zps1c8d39d9.jpg

I went with a 'bright' finish for the blade, which is notoriously hard to photograph but looks awesome in person.

Very fun to watch the WIP on an Integral piece, I've not seen it done before. Your pattern turned out great; It's almost hypnotic.

Edited by John Kruse-Kanyuck

Great job George. I'm jealous of Pieter-Pauld, his luck this year (hopefully) makes up for the disappointment last year. Care to share your source of briar for knife handles? Seems like a good wood to use: looks good, good stability, has intrinsic value, etc.

~Bruce~

yeah, i am really happy with the blade i got, the pattern is mesmerizing and the briar is a really beautiful wood

Great job George. I'm jealous of Pieter-Pauld, his luck this year (hopefully) makes up for the disappointment last year. Care to share your source of briar for knife handles? Seems like a good wood to use: looks good, good stability, has intrinsic value, etc.

~Bruce~

Bell forest Products was the source of the briar, it is not something they always have in stock but occasionally they do. I've also gotten masur birch from them in the past, and buy a good bit of curly hard maple from them.