Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Klein

Master and Apprentice

This is a blade which I started on my own with a little bit of steel I had left over from a short sword that I was (and still am) working on. JD did me the favor of finishing polishing it for me as I was still a student at Massachusetts College of Art and Design and very short on time with finals. Upon seeing the steel JD asked me if he could come up with and make a handle and scabbard for it. How could I turn down an offer like that? The images that follow show what can be created when two individuals combine powers.

colab.jpg

colabcloseup2.jpg

colabcloseup3.jpg

colabcloseup1.jpg

That is absolutely beautiful!

I wish I could make something even half that good! I haven't made anything I feel is worthy of showing all the massively talented people on this site, and now I'm really going to have to step up my game :P I look forward to seeing more of your work!

All you have to do is do it! Ask questions, take risks, you will surprise yourself with what you can accomplish if you just go for it!

:o

Awesome! That is a unique design to say the least, but in the best way possible. There are so many interesting lines and curves, not to mention the grains and patterns!

Wow!!!!!

I'm becoming more & more of a fan of yours. That's a wonderful art knife! I especially like the recessed spine and the steel is superb. I know how much went into it and applaud the effort.

Your sheath is especially nice. It fits so well with the style of the knife. WELL DONE!

Thanks so much for sharing. I have never been a huge fan of art knives but you may have changed my mind.

Gary

Holy Jesus!!!!!

I have a delay to realize what the eyes just see!!

That's a Masterpiece!!

I you like the pictures, you should have seen her in person!!! Mr. Smith was wearing her at the Oregon Knife Show and she was truly amazing. Almost as amazing as the short discussion with Mr. Smith on knife design. Thank you both for your great contribution to my knife making education.

that rocks! I love the steel, and the sheath/handle go great together.

keep sharing your work,

kc

Awsome work! Curves in all the right places, beautiful steel, fittings and finish! Love it!

Thank you all! The photo is by Jim Cooper, who I absolutely love working with. For the close ups, I simply zoom in and crop his high-resolution images.

When I saw the steel Kevin had made here, I knew it was destined to become a unique and interesting piece. It was inspired by the neck-knife the queen mother wore in the movie "AVATAR". It came together nicely, as I was in fact going for something unusual and eye catching.

Amazing craftsmanship! So many aspects to look at.

JD, never seen Avatar, just looked up what you were talking about, very "tribal", cool.

Excellent! I particularly like the steel, and the recessed spine. Lotsa win there!

Yow!

Gentlemen, that's not just heads and shoulders above everything else, it's through the roof.

Doug

That was a fav of mine; hated to see it go...Oh well, more where that came from!

That is awesome! Did you make the steel with out flux?

That would be a question for Kevin, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. That technique didn't hit the shop for another six months yet.

Okay. Thank you Mr. Smith. I was wondering because from what I have read it is the way to go. I have also read that you are the master at it. ;)

After I make my self a gas forge, it is something I would like to learn how to do. Do you have any links to a good explanation?

Edited by Philip Patton

Philip, I believe there's a pinned thread on the ABS forums where I've covered the topic in detail. Go check it out!

Beautiful work. I love the steel and the overall lines of the knife and sheath. JD, love the way you carve stuff. Wow! Thanks for sharing.