Allen Jordan

Put the first finish coat on some koa scales today

After one coat of waterlox original on my work-in-progress folder's koa scales:

snBuyha.jpg

It took me making knives to fully appreciate just how beautiful wood can be. And this is one of them

Thanks Wes. Never used koa before now but always wanted to, it's a beautiful wood... extremely chatoyant. Wish I had some larger pieces for general woodworking use, but it's far too expensive.

Waterlox does a great job of bringing out the deep colors in wood.

It's also easy to apply and easy to repair should repair be necessary.

I did a test on some of the leftover scrap koa with amber shellac, wipe-on poly, and waterlox. The waterlox definitely looked best. It's one of my favorite wood finishes, though the 24 hour cure time between coats is sure annoying (the shellac is like 10 minutes).

Thanks Wes. Never used koa before now but always wanted to, it's a beautiful wood... extremely chatoyant. Wish I had some larger pieces for general woodworking use, but it's far too expensive.

I know how you feel. I buy my wood at a woodworking store close to where I live, and they have lots of gorgeous wood, but man it is expensive.

they have lots of gorgeous wood, but man it is expensive.

Go direct to the source. Winkler Woods LLC Woodworking stores buy stuff from a distributor who, if you are lucky, buys from the source and that means the price is greatly exaggerated.

When I was visiting family, over 10 years ago, they had a huge pile of offcuts and were willing to sell it rather cheaply. Call them up tell them what you are doing and what you are looking for - you never know. Another source is the lumber category on Ebay, a few of the locals are supplementing their income by selling wood on the side. This source seems particularly conscientious in sourcing their wood. Kamuela Hardwoods.

~Bruce~

Edited by B. Norris

Go direct to the source. Winkler Woods LLC Woodworking stores buy stuff from a distributor who, if you are lucky, buys from the source and that means the price is greatly exaggerated.

When I was visiting family, over 10 years ago, they had a huge pile of offcuts and were willing to sell it rather cheaply. Call them up tell them what you are doing and what you are looking for - you never know. Another source is the lumber category on Ebay, a few of the locals are supplementing their income by selling wood on the side. This source seems particularly conscientious in sourcing their wood. Kamuela Hardwoods.

~Bruce~

Winkler's website claims a $1000 minimum order. Too rich for my blood, I'm afraid. The ebay seller has some great pieces, though still not cheap. It's a rare wood with exceptional figure, so I guess the prices are understandable.

...Another source is the lumber category on Ebay...

This, honestly, is what I am most likely going to start doing. I have always been wary of eBay, but with the cost that I see anywhere else, it looks like it may be the magic ticket. The woodworking store is great for some woods, but not for others.I got Lignum there for a great price, but other woods are steep.

ebay is good for wood, believe it or not. There are some folks who are sawing up their own stuff, and you can see pics of what you are buying, before you buy it. It has worked for me, anyway.

good luck,

kc

ebay is good for wood, believe it or not. There are some folks who are sawing up their own stuff, and you can see pics of what you are buying, before you buy it. It has worked for me, anyway.

good luck,

kc

Cool, thanks for the second opinion Kevin; makes me a little more trusting...

That is beautiful Wes, I have a piece of Koa I'm saving for something worthy, I'll have to try the waterlox.

Waterlox looked the best out of several finishes I tried on some scrap koa. Wipe-on poly and amber shellac seemed to darken and muddy the grain more.