Viking blacksmiths grave

Saw this in the Norwegian news today, thought it would be interesting to share.

http://www.nrk.no/sognogfjordane/fann-vikingsverd-i-hagen-1.11921403

A blacksmith from the 800s was buried with his tools, an axe and a sword. I find it interesting that the sword has the guard and pommel mounted, but the edges and fuller are still left unground, perhaps it's a piece he never finished?

Hope google does a good enough job of translating the article for you.

I find it interesting that the sword has the guard and pommel mounted, but the edges and fuller are still left unground, perhaps it's a piece he never finished?

I saw the tip of the blade, it looks like a single edged version kinda like this one.

download-5.jpg

From what I have gathered They didn't have fuller's unlike their double edged cousins.

Nice find!
And yes, the sword is of the single edged type. These are common in Norway. Such blades can have a fuller but it is very wide and shallow as a rule. It might not show up unless the light is right and with the corrosion on the surface, it would be obscured further. But yes, not all single edged sword have a fuller.

Very nice find! Thanks for posting this.

That's a fairly good sized anvil too, looks a lot bigger than the ones from the mastermyr find. My guesstimate is that it's about 6 inches tall, 5 inches long at the horn and 2 to 2.5 inches wide. The two hammers are neat because the eyes are at the rear, making them much like what we would consider a 'bladesmithing hammer' today

Thank you for sharing Leif, really stunning... as the matter of fact... the google's translation is awfully bad and a bit incoherent! as usual... ;)

You beat me to the punch Leif. : )

Very cool find!

Edited by Philip Patton

If I found that in my back yard you can bet there'd be one less hammer going to the museum... ;)

Thanks, Peter and Karter. It didn't occur to me that it's a single edged sword, even though I have one of those in the works myself at the moment.

I'll try to keep track of this find, I'm guessing it will end up at the Historical Museum in Bergen, they have some nice viking stuff there. I just love the way they've made a display out of it, it's really a momument to the mans craft and skill!

Lots of other great stuff from that find I bet. The hammer are very similar to the ones on display at the historic museum Oslo.

Who would have thought that the Vikings had a trade route extending all the way to Japan?!?! I mean, how else could they have acquired japanese hammers??

Any thoughts on that gadget at 0:23? The end looks like a spoon bit, but then it appears to have two handles or reigns on it. Maybe a form of ember tong?

Stuff like this always gets me worked up. I love to think that about how they were forging wonderful blades on such tiny little anvils.

• 1 month later...

Hey does it seem odd to you guys that the sword shown has no edge to it? It looks like it's 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick at the edge. I suppose it could have been made as a ceremonial piece or maybe it wasn't finished, but the fact that the cross and upper guard are attached makes it seem unlikely that this is the case. Anyone have any thoughts?