2x72 grinder belts?

grpaavola

Hiya Guys!

So I recently purchased an AMK 77 2x72 inch grinder and I have one question...

Where is the best place to get the belts and which belts should I start with?

Ok, so really two but who is counting right?

Maybe I should ask, where do you get them and which ones do you wish you started out with?

-Gabriel

The fundamental cause of trouble is that the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher
follow me on Instagram @raggedravenforge

I like the Norton orange Blaze belts, but the prices are pretty much the same where ever you go. I use them for 36 and 60 grits, for the higher grits I like the 3M Gator belts, but again, I haven't found any real deals.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Gabriel,

Try any of the following: TruGrit Inc., Pop's Knife Supply, USA Knife Maker Supply

There are other suppliers but, these are some of the ones that carry the better belts at reasonable prices and are a good place to try some different belts out until you can figure out what really works for you. Try the Custom Google Search that one of our members rigged up for us to search the forum for what type of belts and grits to order. Or, use Googles advanced search features to search just this domain, if you know how. TruGrit inc, (I have heard) is very good with suggesting what type of belts and grits the beginning knifemaker will need - just call them up and tell them what you are doing i.e. what steels you are working with, forging or just stock removal, etc.

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

thanks Geoff and Bruce!

Bruce- I did try the custom search... but I didn't find anything that was the definitive "this is what I use and would recommend". Also, it has been so long since I used a belt grinder (like before Amazon) I really had no idea where to start.

Geoff- when I did do the search I did see a lot of orange blaze. So I think I will give them a try!

The fundamental cause of trouble is that the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher

I'm really enjoying the Cubitron II's for roughing in...I prefer 40 and 60 grit. They really seem to last quite awhile before they start coloring the steel.

I haven't tried the blaze belts yet though.

Higher grit belts...the generics seem to do fine for me. I had some of the better belts and belt life really doesn't seem any better. I'd rather spend a couple bucks for higher grit belts and use them like water, than $6+, and still use them like water.

I searched the internet for a month while waiting for my grinder, and about the only thing I've found everyone agrees on when it comes to belts, is that no one agrees on anything when it comes to belts, lol.

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

I get mine from Pop's, SuperGrit, and TruGrit. Pop is the most knowledgeable and very customer oriented.

I use 40, 60 x weight ceramics for steel. 120, 220, 320 j-flex for steel and wood. I use Rhino Wet Red sand paper in various grits for hand sanding and 3 M polishing paper.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

Another vote for Pop's. I use 3M Cubitrons for anything under 120 grit, and then Trizact Gator belts for anything over.

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

36, 60 grit = Norton Blade cannot be beat

120, 220= Norton Blue Fire last forever

~200-A5= 3M Both the Gator Trizact and the other which goes to the higher grits.

If you check www.truergrit.com (http://trugrit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_147)they have a huge selection of different belts. I shop by Norton and 3M as they seem to be the best with the biggest variety.

GO with these more expensive belts rather than the cheap AO belts IMO.

Edited by Daniel Cauble

My last order of belts were a trial of the Blaze and the Trizact. The Blaze belts easily last three times longer than the cheaper belts. The higher grit belts (Trizact) do not seem to last any longer than the cheap ones but, what I do notice is that they run at least twice as cool and that is worth the extra expense to me.

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

Thanks again for all the input!

Maybe it's just the overachiever in me, but I like to get the opinions and tips from the people I look up to and make an informed decision from that.

I have to say this does look a little like what Mr. Anderson said...

I searched the internet for a month while waiting for my grinder, and
about the only thing I've found everyone agrees on when it comes to
belts, is that no one agrees on anything when it comes to belts, lol.

Now I wish I had just thrown the money at a grinder in the first place. Grinding and finishing the KITH I am working on is a real pain!

Thank you again!

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola