I have been sent this photo that shows something that was found whilst looking for ore deposits. It has come from The Weald area in South East England that has a long history of iron working going back to before Roman times up to around the 1700's.

The area it was found in has names like Furnace Lane, Minepit Wood, Forge Wood and Mill Wood so its steeped in iron making history.

The question I was asked is " do I think its ore". My knowledge of collecting natural ore is very limited but this looks like it could be a by product of smelting from earlier times. I have no idea about whether it feels heavy for the size or if it attracts a magnet.

Any ideas ?

ore_zps260a0c12.jpg

Mick.

Without having it in hand, it looks like what an archaeologist would call a rust concretion. Somewhere in there is an iron object, and over time it is slowly turning back into ore. Just my not-yet-had-coffee guess of the moment...

Whatever it is it looks pretty cool. Looks kind of like some concretion after pyrite. Maybe they will find more and let you do an experimental smelt.