IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
DanielQ

The landscape that shaped us.

They say that we are shaped by the landscape around us. I'd like to think that it is this landscape that shaped me.

Which landscape shaped you?

DSC07551.JPG

DSC07554.JPG

DSC07557.JPG

DSC07561.JPG

DSC07565.JPG

DSC07572.JPG

DSC07558.JPG

DSC07573.JPG

DSC07575.JPG

DSC07585.JPG

• Like 1

20140907_130557.jpg

20140824_123552.jpg

1372555208415.jpg

1372555081667.jpg

Don't know why one is upside down. Must be one of those days in my life...

Holy Crap!

DanielQ... That looks just like where I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan!

If you ever get out to Marquette you should feel right at home (aside from the whole language thing, but you don't have to go far till that is not a problem).

I was looking at those picture and kept thinking "oh... is he out at Little Presque Isle Point and Hog's Back Mountain?"

Then I noticed you are in Germany...

My mind is blown

-Gabriel

Beautiful waterfall George, and yes.. Sometimes it's just one of those days, either it's all on a slant or even upside down sometimes :-). Whats a Florida winter like? Must be impossible to forge during the summer..

Actually Gabriel, I traveled around the Traverse area a bit this summer, and yes, it was very similar to our landscape, with some different trees though, we have a bit colder climate so there aren't so many different species of leaf trees. My friend also came over the summer before and he kept shouting "This looks EXACTLY like at home!!" and now I know what he ment :).

Oh, should fix my location place by the way, I am up in Husum in Sweden :P

//DQ

Daniel,

The first and last photos are North Carolina. Middle two are Florida. The winters are pretty much like the summer except there is no rain. The hottest months are August and September where it can be 100°F by noon with 90%+ humidity and then rain all afternoon.

I forge year round. 5 fans placed to move air around the shop but, not over my immediate forging area. I forge 5 to 6 knives at a time. Then the next day after they have cooled I turn on the A/C, my dust control and start rough grinding. The rest of the process is completed while running the A/C. I'm in South Florida inland enough to not need to worry about the effects of salt carried by the sea breezes. No real cold climate here; just warm, warmer, and warmest days.

Have a great day!

George

Ha! Sorry about that Daniel!

sometimes Google is just lazy.

No wonder it looks so much like home to me. I know when the first Suomen kansa (hope I am correct with that) settled in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) they were struck by how it looked so much like Finland.

http://images.world66.com/la/ke/_s/lake_superior_from_galleryfull

this is a link to an image from Hog'sback Mountain (not really a mountain but big enough for the area).

This is all making me homesick...

Looking at the landscape that shaped me... Explains quite a bit - lots of extremes!

3.jpg.jpg

waipio-valley-big-island-hawaii.jpg

Waipio-Big-Island-Hawaii.jpg

Maui_View_WR-600x400.jpg

Big-Island-road.jpg

Hale-o-Keawe-heiau-Puuhonua-Big-Island.jpg

Big-Island-Lava-Flow-Kalaupana.jpg

20070116_hawaii_big_island_punaluu_black_sands_beach_40.JPG

Pahoehoe-toe-lava.jpg

Cdj13-GC1.jpg

~Bruce~

• Like 1

For sure.

Pacific Northwest US (1&2)

Vermont (3,4,5)

Japan (6&7)

IMGP2773web.jpg

IMGP3608web.jpg

IMGP8410sized.jpg

catweb.jpg

IMGP6495fusedweb.jpg

IMGP0782web.jpg

IMGP4274-copyweb.jpg

Edited by Jim Kelso

Hehe, no worries herr Paavola, Swedens Husum is just a small factory town, not worthy much notice ;-). Thanks for the link by the way. I was around the Traverse area this summer but would like to see more of beautiful Michigan some day.

Wow Mr Norris.. Those were some truly spectacular pictures! Thank you for showing them!

Brilliant pictures as always Mr. Kelso! The look of those stones truly reminds me of the mountains and beaches we used to run around on as kids here in the High Coast, I need to get out there more often...

Yesterday, I had to take a brisk walk up the mountain again, was such a beautiful day, the day after the first snow. The pictures were taken around 14.45-15.15 or so in the afternoon, so the sun was setting. Had to hurry a bit to make it home before dark :-). Makes me feel a bit down when the weather men tell us that it might thaw away this weekend. A winter landscape is a clean and hauntingly beautiful one. There is no silence like the silence of a cold winter day.

//DQ

DSC07754.JPG

DSC07757.JPG

DSC07768.JPG

I can't believe Tennessee beat Sweden to the first snow of winter! This is the view from my shop on Saturday, November 1:

11-1-2014.jpg

and the snow on my truck mirror:

11-1-2014-2.jpg

I can't believe Tennessee beat Sweden to the first snow of winter! This is the view from my shop on Saturday, November 1:

attachicon.gif11-1-2014.jpg

and the snow on my truck mirror:

attachicon.gif11-1-2014-2.jpg

Me neither :(, I am ashamed... This global warming thingamig isn't good for the soul!

Buuut, in my defence, I live right by the ocean now a days :) continue straight out past the islands in the picture and you'll end up in Finland. The inland and the northlands had snow a few weeks ago.

//DQ

Some beautiful places here! For me, it was the Adirondacks in upper New York. I sure do miss it up there

John

Wright+Summit.jpg

9-+Sunset.jpg

13-+Mount+Colden+false+summit.jpg

15.jpg

3.jpg

I also spent some time here (Seattle's Capitol Hill in background).

Got burglarized. It was all inspirational to head for the hills.

Actually Seattle has some fine parks and old neighborhoods.

2008540413.jpg

This thread made me go through pictures from where I grew up in Denmark - made me want to go back.

The view from my room back at my parents - spent many winters fishing those waters, looking at the hills on the other side.

egaa_marina.jpg

mols.jpg

Spent the summers in my grandparents summer house, walking those same hills.

mols_bjerge.jpg

Edited by Jeppe

@Jim -That was the snowfall a few years ago where they didn't salt Capitol Hill and that bus careened down it and ploughed through the I-5 barricade. Besides never being prepared for snow, I love Washington. Seattle is a beautiful city(for the most part).

I guess it would only be fair to post the environment that shaped me. It was the Army. I spent my entire child as an Army brat on military bases, and then I was a soldier myself. I have lived many places, and in the end, places are just places. But the Army will always be where I am from.

I spent a significant portion of my childhood at the DZs at Ft Bragg watching my dad parachute. I loved it.

NBqES8x.jpg

This is a picture of my platoon in Iraq. I am in there, but I am sure as shit not pointing myself out :)

15631295697_04ecd0326d_c.jpg

Edited by Wes Detrick

What a cool thread idea! Very neat to see everybody's "place"... :D

This is mine...southern New Mexico, on the Gila river. I grew up here since the age of 10 or so, moved away in my late teens/early twenties, then moved back with my wife in around '05. Its incredibly remote by lower-48 standards, but I love it! These two pics show the "yin and yang" of the area, dry, desert-y uplands and lush river bottom. Not shown in the photos are the hundreds of local archeological sites scattered with decorated potsherds, another big art inspiration of mine.

There is a plan afoot to dam the Gila, which is the last undammed river in NM, and one of the few in the entire southwest...not to get all political, but I am sincerely hoping the plan won't fly.

fish1 032.JPG

022.JPG

Edited by Orien M

Hey, Orien. I grew up in Silver City, thanks for the pics! I'm in Oklahoma now, moved here after getting out of the army (wifes family) but my folks still live there. Gotta get back soon and vist and make a Hatch chilie run.

I heard about them trying to dam the river, I also hope they do not screw things up and do that! Growing up, we use to go up in the Gila wilderness on horseback for a couple of weeks at a time, miss that so very much! later I heard some group was trying to outlaw horses up the river because they were not "native"... , but then they were wanting the horses to wear diapers... I guess I don't get it.

Edited by Dennis Mitchell

Hi Dennis, how cool to meet a fellow Grant county-ite here! Feel free to PM me if you're back in the area, getting chile or whatever. Maybe we can meet up.

Horse diapers, that's hilarious :lol: ...the extremes on both sides are quite silly, I think. A lady I know once got on my case for tossing a banana peel in the forest, she swore that becuse it was non-native it would never, ever bio-degrade...I never seem to find 'nanner peels around, though. :ph34r:

Guest guest T

Even though it was several years ago and only 3 weeks long Looking back France Is the landscape that most impacted me. I find a yearning to be back to the trails and roads winding through grassy hills and forest. My cousin and I fixed two old bicycles and we would ride for hours up and down mountains. I have always lived in suburbs and I think that was the first time I had realized that I wanted to live somewhere else. These are the best pictures I have.

229658_168995433170285_6529741_n.jpg?oh=

183892_168995506503611_5095438_n.jpg?oh=

284403_168825199853975_1839714_n.jpg?oh=

284358_168824986520663_6668659_n.jpg?oh=

Looking back at these makes me think of the landscape of a fantasy novel. Rather than sprawling subberbs surrounding a giant city it was individual cobblestone houses dotting the countryside within a few miles of a small town.

285573_168998253170003_2737973_n.jpg?oh=

Wow, you're about three weeks behind us...