IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
DanielQ

The landscape that shaped us.

I grew up in Utah.

We have mountains here, Lots of them, spent most of my childhood up in them tromping around. now that I am an adult, ehhhh not so much, But I go up every chance I get.

First, is a lake I drive past every time I visit family in central utah, Dont know the name of it, but its a sign that the nearly 3 hour drive is all but over.

IMG_20120409_182514.jpg

This is the view of the greater Salt Lake City valley from behind ( and above ) the University of Utah campus.

DSCN0427.JPG

Further up the same canyon, My daughter Aeris on her first hike.

20141018_134148.jpg

Wintertime in Utah means snow ( most of the time )

10404252_10154765277670411_5852314309911804803_n.jpg

I lived in Great Lakes Illinois and Pensacola Florida for a time ( active duty Navy ) and spent a lot of time in Chicago before my girlfriend moved to Utah 2 years ago, I could never get over the flat rolling landscape of the plains areas, and too this day will mutter " Flatlander " to the girlfriend when she asks me to do stuff. But when you grow up seeing this on all 4 sides of you all your life, the Horizon actually hitting the ground at ground level is quite unnerving.

1601490_10153919060595411_505903670_n.jpg

I think this is a great thread!

This was taken near Inari, Lapland. Never mind the weirdo in the picture

b7jbth.jpg

Somewhere in Lemmenjoki, Lapland.

2pq9iiq.jpg

Hossa, "lihapyörre" in North-Eastern Finland

25exwd1.jpg

Neitvuori, one of the highest hills in central Finland - overlooking lake Saimaa.

2u4igk8.jpg

Lake Saimaa, Luonteri.

1zyho3a.jpg

'nuff said.

2il1p2p.jpg

Storm light at Pitkäjärvi, Mikkeli

icoc4g.jpg

Carnivorous swamp plants

2i23a87.jpg

And these last four were taken a few days ago. There was a thick morning mist and I decided to drive around and take some pictures with the iPhone.

se0eba.jpg

351ftb5.jpg

2n0r2x5.jpg

2cokf0h.jpg

Three months, no Sun.

Edited by J.S.Voutilainen

Central east Oklahoma I wish I had more land scape pics

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

Lived in Utah all my life. Mostly in the north where the forests and mountains are, spent A LOT of time camping. But we would go to southern Utah (the red rock desert) very often. Haven't been south in about 6 years but I still visit the forests often. The pictures aren't mine but rather google searched, I don't take photos of anything other than my kids really because when I try I don't do it justice, but they are places I've been/places I spent my childhood and remember the most.

Image result for utah desert

Image result for utah forests

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 11:19 PM, Robert D. said:

I grew up in Utah.

We have mountains here, Lots of them, spent most of my childhood up in them tromping around. now that I am an adult, ehhhh not so much, But I go up every chance I get.

First, is a lake I drive past every time I visit family in central utah, Dont know the name of it, but its a sign that the nearly 3 hour drive is all but over.

IMG_20120409_182514.jpg

This is the view of the greater Salt Lake City valley from behind ( and above ) the University of Utah campus.

DSCN0427.JPG

Further up the same canyon, My daughter Aeris on her first hike.

20141018_134148.jpg

Wintertime in Utah means snow ( most of the time )

10404252_10154765277670411_5852314309911804803_n.jpg

I lived in Great Lakes Illinois and Pensacola Florida for a time ( active duty Navy ) and spent a lot of time in Chicago before my girlfriend moved to Utah 2 years ago, I could never get over the flat rolling landscape of the plains areas, and too this day will mutter " Flatlander " to the girlfriend when she asks me to do stuff. But when you grow up seeing this on all 4 sides of you all your life, the Horizon actually hitting the ground at ground level is quite unnerving.

1601490_10153919060595411_505903670_n.jpg

That last photo is the 215 east right? Near State St? My house isn't actually very far from there.

Yes, My girlfriend took it so Im not exactly certain but I think its between Ft Union and 2000 east exits. 

Nice to have another local on here, I am out on the West Jordan/Murray/Taylorsville mess. 

Make it three. I am in Sandy. I use the Ft Union or Highland Dr exit daily ;) love the mountains and the red rocks too

Perhaps we should have a " Northern Utah " meetup and hammer in, If you guys like beer, Taqueria 27 has an Amazing Jalapeno Cream ale they sell in growlers ( Wasatch Brewery ) for cheap.  And its right off highland and 21st south. Amazing Fish taco's as well.