Josh A Weston

The Elk King Seax (WIP)

Well, I was laid off on Tuesday so I had some time to work on this during the week. I still need to do the carving and some fit and finish work but here's my WIP to date. It's a 3-bar broken back seax with a 10 layer core (wrought, L6, 1060 and mild), a wrought-iron spine and a 1095 edge. The bolster is a stack of copper sheets separated by quarters mokume.

http://rashystreakers.tumblr.com/tagged/elk%20king%20seax

tumblr_ncf1ia7Gx21qz9mvno1_400.jpgtumblr_ncf1ia7Gx21qz9mvno2_400.jpg

tumblr_ncf1ia7Gx21qz9mvno3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nccv6yIwI61qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ncbxl32CZt1qz9mvno2_400.jpgtumblr_ncbxl32CZt1qz9mvno6_400.jpg

I would say this has been a good week for seaxes....:)

Wonderful shape, steel, and carving!

Sorry to hear about your job, I lost my job last week. Great job but they lost their contract to China, go figure. I'm not a big Seax, but I really like this one. The antler really makes it sleek and seaxy. Not sure what you did with the design on the handle. Is it an inlay?

I would say this has been a good week for seaxes.... :)

Wonderful shape, steel, and carving!

Haha I was just thinking the same thing. Wierd explosion of seaxes on the forum. Its good.

Josh this is looking really awesome, and I usually am not such a fan of antler handled seaxes. Sorry to hear you got laid off though. Maybe you can go full time with bladesmithing now haha. Good luck!

Wow that is looking fantastic Josh!

Also, you realize this is an artifact, right? :)

The seax looks awesome!

That's funny, I've always thought rough forged and freshly quenched blades look like artifacts. We should all forge a bunch of seaxes, with bog wood handles, and bury them to confuse future archeologists. We could also mix it up a little by using actual artifacts and rehilting them :lol:

Sorry to hear about your job, I lost my job last week. Great job but they lost their contract to China, go figure. I'm not a big Seax, but I really like this one. The antler really makes it sleek and seaxy. Not sure what you did with the design on the handle. Is it an inlay?

I was laid off dueto losing a big client contract as well. 50 some people moving on.

The handle is just lines drawn in for me to carve out. I usually just use pencil but I wanted to leave as much natural antler color and I couldn't make out the pencil lines. So I used silver sharpie. I have found regular sharpie bleeds into every open pore of antler and I can't get it out.

Thanks for all the compliments! I am thinking about pursuing blacksmithing full time. I will for sure till I get a new job. I sell at a ren faire in Myrtle Beach Oct 4-5... actually I will be one of the live blacksmiths. I am excited about this opportunity and new life chapter. I want to set it up to include more blacksmith time.

It does look like that. It looked so cool I thought about leaving it that way. Then I took the pic and ground it all off.

Been jamming out in my garage. I took some better pics today with a sheath too.

tumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno1_500.jpg

tumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno2_400.jpg\tumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno3_400.jpg

tumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno4_400.jpgtumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno5_400.jpg

tumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno6_400.jpgtumblr_nctvm9SBaw1qz9mvno7_400.jpg

Okay, off to finish a long seax.

• Like 1

Josh thats a sweet package! You gotta stop post in Design and critique cause to many people miss your posts :P

That antler the perfect shape for the blade, not gonna lie I think you could have left the carving out and let the antler speak for itself but thats just me. the carving still really sweet

Edited by MLenaghan

Michael,

I probably should dump more in Show and Tell but I like the whole critique park of this area. I'm still learning and I want everyone that has an opinion or feedback to feel comfortable laying it on me. But maybe I will start putting my finished pieces in the show and tell.

Also, you are probably right with the antler. It was a tough choice and I tried to leave a bunch of the original antler outsides because it was just to perfect.

Great stuff Again Josh, I bet that feels good in the hand. Great carving too.

Super!!

that is really cool. I was thinking, the way things have gone in the last five years... today we see seaxes being made that, each one of them (this one included) would have just been mindblowing a few years ago.

Now, well... that is just what people are able to make.

again, very cool.

I sold it at the ren faire this weekend. It was a hard one to let go, very hard.

Thank you all for the very nice comments! You keep me inspired and motivated.

Beautiful work man.

I sold it at the ren faire this weekend. It was a hard one to let go, very hard.

Thank you all for the very nice comments! You keep me inspired and motivated.

I hope that it sold for what it was worth, and the new owner really appreciates it.

That's one sweet looking knife. Love the carving on the handle.

Doug