DaveJ

Process: Tsukimi Tanto (autumn moon watching)

Koshirae Bukuro

One more...late night, hand stitching an antique silk obi sash (from an outdoor temple market in Kyoto) into a koshirae bukuro storage bag...leather thimble borrowed from my lovely wife. Hand laminated steel bladed shears by Shozaburo~san of Tokyo, I inherited them from a friend I was helping clean out some of her parents' storage. On the left is my version of a simple pocket-carry mekugi-nuki-tool, forged from scraps of my old charcoal kiln.

tsukimi-tanto-116.jpg

tsukimi-tanto-117b.jpg

...will replace this with a longer cord so i can tie the proper knot, but this image reminds me of an old hand-coloured photograph...

Edited by DaveJ

Wow Dave. Great sequence, details and overall form.

Wonderful.!

Thanks for sharing. Great tutorial all the way.

Mark

a great blending of technique, mastery of tools and materials, and calm confident spirit - I'm happy to have seen a master craftsman at work.

Wonderful, Thanks for sharing.

i followed your progess on this via Instagram, but WOW it's so much better all together here. Amazing work - really inspiring to me as a beginner.

thank you, gentlemen!

...go for it, @deanmoore! simple is good.

another great one Dave.

ahh... getting in the mood for another traditional mount. Might pile up some shear steel... :-)

@scott, nice! i am about warmed up and ready to start making pieces from my little shear steel stash...