Zuku-Oshi Tatara 2014

Zeb, DQ Thanks

Tatara is 3 piece setup, and middle section is whit inner linen ( hitemp) cast.

Air is preheating in this jacket and blast trough 4 tuyeres..bottom has slag tapholes upper and lower..depending

Kera or Zuku-oshi method that is used.

DQ

Im at North, Oulu.

Niko,

Good to see you participating again...I am glad you got away from that big crucible. That is a good looking furnace. I just had a shoulder repair and do not know exactly when I will be smelting again, though I am looking forward to it. I am looking forward to seeing you take the cast from cast to a blade.

Jan

Jan.

I still have that big crucible and as long as it is in one piece and can be repair after Oroshigane after Oroshigane

Im not loosing it. Zuku needs refinement so it will be turned to steel next summer.

Lets hope you get your shoulder better and will be able to smelt soon...be safe.

Niko

Thanks Niko.

Wm

I thought I was the only one not tapping slag, but it seems there are others. There is another group in Japan which also allows the furnace to completely cool prior to pulling the bloom (which I normally do) , they use a very similar furnace.

What I find amazing is the white clothes and they seem to stay so clean ...how in the hell do they do it?

Thanks for the links.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

I love the photos, the woods against the Reborn fire spewing engine of of antiquity.

I have a zuku smelt on the cards for next year, The little I have I have used as a contrast material for pattern weld . Either as a buttering between layers or as a remelt to make tamahagane zuku wootzu (ultra high carbon bloomery crusiblesteel), best contrast I have found.

Great work as always Niko, you are a Northern Light for sure.

Owen and Jesus

Thanks guys.

Different methods have given lots to me in steel making.

I have tryed to record all info, but its not possible to get all down to paper...most importat issues are safe.

Im looking frwd to see will these different methods show nice differens in steels stucture and how it acts

during HT sword skale.

There is lots of work in future....and even more, lots more steel to make ;)

Hoping to get this to the next level so I could write something and publish it.

Niko