Technically speaking, carbides are always in grain boundaries. This is because they don't fit in the lattice structure therefore they aren't in the grain, therefore they are in a boundary.

This is just a technical thinking point. It has no practical bearing on what was said; the above comments are sound. Also a fun thought is that steels are technically metal matrix composites since they all have carbides and carbides are ceramics. Just metallurgy nonsense.

Technically speaking, carbides are always in grain boundaries. This is because they don't fit in the lattice structure therefore they aren't in the grain, therefore they are in a boundary.

This is just a technical thinking point. It has no practical bearing on what was said; the above comments are sound. Also a fun thought is that steels are technically metal matrix composites since they all have carbides and carbides are ceramics. Just metallurgy nonsense.

:D

So, I figured I'd add my first leather sheath to the mix as well, lol. First leather anything actually.

20141010_171332_1.jpg

20141010_171418_2.jpg]

Ignore the handle, its temporary, stuck on with spray adhesive, and literally made from a 2x4 (dyed it with the leather dye lol)…so I can easily test different shapes for comfort. But the knife and sheath are pretty much done. I still have to seal the sheath (going to use beeswax), and of course finalize a set of handle scales…but otherwise that's it. This is my first ever leatherwork...and since I want to carry this knife every day, I decided on 6oz leather for a slimmer overall footprint. It's a very simple pancake setup with a clip on the back (stolen from a leather cell phone case kit, lol) to secure it inside my pocket. The beeswax should stiffen it nicely. The sheath fits easily in my pocket and the entire 11"+ knife is out of the way. Overall I'm pretty happy. I'll probably eventually make a belt carry (low mount on my upper thigh), and a horizontal carry pancake sheath for it as well. Options are good!

On the scales...I'm surprised at how comfortable these are, now that I've used them a little bit. At first I didn't like them at all. I've tried three designs of scales, and not one is as comfortable or secure in hand as no scales. This...which is almost the same as the pulled out of my rear photoshop examples...has been the best. The next set I'm just going to make bigger in every dimension profile wise, and a little bit slimmer. I'll cut all the same bevels (these wedge from rear to front...wider to narrower), then gently round them over with high grit paper. The bog oak is really speaking to me, but so is the snakewood and claro walnut. The girlfriend is dead set on the snakewood. I'm undecided.

Guess we'll see what's on my mind the day I finalize a design.

Edited by C.Anderson