I made this knife as a gift for my daughter’s tennis coach. His impact on my daughter goes way beyond simply improving her tennis skills, and I feel somewhat indebted.

The blade was going to be just 1095 and 15N20, but I ended up with a big flux inclusion when drawing out after the second round of welding. By the time I cut out the bad part, I was short on material. I drew what was left out to about 8”, cut it in half, and welded the pieces on either side of a piece of 1084 san mai style. I was pretty diligent about keeping the hammer blows even on each side after this step, but the result is still a bit off center.

The guard is nickel silver, the handle is a piece of ash burl, and the pin is 316 stainless.

Quenched from 1500F in 140 degree canola.

This is my 3rd knife attempt, and the first time I have tried a knife with a proper ricasso and guard. Let’s say I learned quite a bit from this one.

I’m starting work on a sheath now. I’ve never done leather work before, so this should be an interesting experience.

I’m really new at this, so feel free to throw out some constructive criticism.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_3225_zps751572a7.jpg

IMG_3227_zpsc961e130.jpg

IMG_3226_zps74be9785.jpg

IMG_3232_zps2aaa0bc7.jpg

IMG_3234_zps6ae61dc0.jpg

IMG_3233_zps937f3d66.jpg

Brian,

That is a great looking knife all around....I particularly like the blade patterns..adding the 1084 was a great idea and the knife looks better because of it. Wow.

Jan

Excellent!!

I just did my first leather sheath last night...so if you need any help, by all means send me a PM. The main things I'd suggest are measure at least three times, use a good glue first (some of the glues are almost as good as stitching as it is!), and a quality overstitch wheel for your stitch holes. I used a set of calipers as a scribe to draw out the lines for my stitches, but a leather groover would certainly be better. Other than that, mine went well.

Oh, one other thing...depending on what you're going to seal the sheath with, its a good idea to carefully seal the inside before stitching. I was unsure myself, so I waited and had to use 100% extra virgin olive oil on the inside. I used beeswax on the outside. The sheath was for my hunter and I'll be uploading some pictures here shortly :).

Again though...this turned out wonderfully...nice work!!

I appreciate all the complements. This knife doesn't belong in the same room with a the work I see posted here, but I like a pat on the back as much as the next guy, so thanks again.

For the sake of completeness, I thought I'd put of a pic of the sheath. I need to seal it and dress the edges once the dye dries, but I think you'll get the idea. It's a very simple sheath that looks like a first attempt, but I am ready to be working on my next project so I am going to move on and try to do better next time.

Overall I enjoyed working with the leather. It certainly adds a whole new dimension of issues and challenges to the metal and wood working.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

IMG_3237_zps2108d5c0.jpg

At the risk of sounding like a real dunce when it comes to damascus, how many folds were required to come up with that beautiful pattern. I'm about ready to try my own hand on it but still not too sure of how it goes. That's a really nice knife and sheath.

Thanks Miles!

Jaka, I started with a stack of 9 layers of 1095 and 15N20 that were each about 0.070" thick. I drew this stack out to about 1.5" wide by 1/8" thick and quartered it. Stacked those pieces and drew it out again.

It was on this second weld pass that I developed the flaw so the cheek pieces that I welded on either side of the 1084 core would have only had 36 layers. I guess you could say the total layer count would have been 73.

When I quartered the billet, I cut it in half, then I cut each of the halves along the long axis. In other words, I would cut an 8" x 1" billet into 4 pieces 4" long x 1/2" wide rather than the more typical 2" x 1". I don't think this effects the pattern any, but I'm new at this so I figured I had better mention it just in case :)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

Very nice knife, as others have already said...

Off center doesn't matter when all of the layers are blade quality steel, which this is.

The center core actually gives a bit of a "hamonish" look, which can be hard to get on bold pattern weld blades except by doing it in this san-mai style.

Nice work on the sheath as well! I can only hope to do that well on my first sheath.

It looks like the stitched edge is thicker leather, did you add extra layers on the stitched side to protect the stitches?

James