Stupidity and my bandsaw bit me

C Craft

Trying to make a dull blade on my metal cutting bandsaw and stupidity and my bandsaw bit me. I was forcing a piece into the blade and thought I had my fingers far enough back to be safe. Wrong the corner I was cutting off broke off just prior to actually cutting it through and since I had so much pressure on I could not stop. The finger (my left bird finger, mind you), it was one of those things that kinda takes the brain at least 3 seconds to respond. My foot let off the switch and about that time my brain say, "Ah, you might want to pull back on that finger". So by the time three seconds went by the blade had cut about a 1/4" straight into the end of the finger.

I stood there for a second thinking that was stupid and then the blood began to pour. I take aspirin for my heart and it doesn't take much and this was slightly more than much. I grabbed a clean rag and tore a bandage and grabbed the duct tape to complete the bandage and went back to work. Needless to say I have hit that finger at least a dozen times today. So think I will go take a shower and see if I can soak it in some epsom salts and maybe it won't throb all night.

I know one thing as soon as the finger heals slightly that darn dull blade is gone and I am making some new push sticks for the bandsaw!!! Boy something like this just makes you feel like a big dummy, a lucky dummy but, a dummy nonetheless!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Fairly common occurrance for new bandsaw [and other tool] users or not-so-new trying to save a minute. I felt the tip of my finger burn when I read this and I am going to make new push sticks so that there is a sturdy one at every workstation in both shops. Sorry you hurt yourself but I appreciate the reminder :)

Been there

Done that

Dave

Dave Evans, Maker

http://WinDancerKnives.Com

After playing with power tools for close to 60 years, I've learned,

sometimes the hard way, to not put skin covered body parts in

front of cutting edges.

That little voice is your friend. Listen and pay attention to it.

Hope you heal quickly, but watch for infection.

Bill

Any time someone mentions "bandsaw" in a safety thread I cringe a little. I've done exactly that too, except it was my left thumb and only about an eighth inch. If it had been the wood cutting bandsaw there wouldn't be much left.

• 7 months later...

Been using bandsaws for 50 years now.....Today I finally got bit !! Thankfully I had a metal cutting blade in it not a big tooth wood blade....Stitches on my thumb hurt!

BE CAREFUL !!!!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

In '04 I was working late, November, very cold in the shop. I decided to cut one more handle and go in and have dinner. The handle blank hung for a second, and then jumped into the saw. The tip of my right index went into the blade, center mass nearly all the way through the nail. At the E room everybody kept coming into the room to look at the x-ray. I sawed lengthwise through the finger bone, but did not shatter it. No one had ever seen that before. At least I still have the finger tip, even though it still feels funny.

Glad yours is not worse.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

I'm not sure I could find a way to get teeth or an eyeball near the blade.

HOWEVER, I suspect that human "creativity" being what it is, somebody

else might. :o

Actually, the bandsaw is one of the safer power tools in an average shop.

Because the cutting force is vertical to the table it won't pull a finger into

the blade. You have to push a finger into the blade. Typically, most

people only do it once.

Keep the upper guide close to the workpiece and make sure the guard is

covering as much of the blade as is possible. The best safety tip is to not

push the workpiece any harder than the blade is cutting. Don't force it.