Sign in to follow this  
Carl Brill

Introduction and work for comments

Hello folks. I didn't find an introduction thread so I'll introduce myself here.

My name is Carl Brill, I live in coastal Maine and I work as a boat carpenter.

Here is my first folding knife, I'm pretty happy with it. A file for the blade with the tang forged for the thumb "tab". Some bicycle tubing for the handle, cold blued. Bronze washers and a nail for the rivet.

The things I might have done better.

- File the blade bevels flat.

- Finish the blade better.

- Clean up the thumb tab where it attached to the blade, I filed for clearance but left it rough.

- Align the back of the blade in line with the back of the handle.

- Give the handle more taper from the front to back. I'd leave the front the same size but add a 1/16" to the butt. In the pictures it shows hardly any taper at all. At the blade it is 0.64" at the butt it is 0.73". Roughly 3/32".

Thank you for any input you might have and please let me know about any posting mistakes I may have made.

My higo 4.jpg

My higo 3.jpg

My higo 2.jpg

Welcome aboard! The knife looks good, let's see some more.

Thanks, I think I prob'ly belong over in the beginner area.

I'm signed up for the American Hand-forged Knife class at JCC School in April. I'd like to get my forging skills out of the "primitive" catagory, if you know what I mean.

I'll certainly show more stuff in Show and Tell.

Thanks

Thank You!

That's quite a knife for your first- Wow. I like the design very much. I was on line looking at stuff on facebook a couple weeks ago...and saw this and was reminded of it when I saw your photo today. Both yours and this one are sort of reminiscent of the French Duk-Duk in many ways

6AF4E05D-8708-4C01-ABD3-55703B986AA7.jpg

Edited by Ray Hammond

That is really cool. Certainly makes it very secure against closing. The Higonokami style rely on you keeping your thumb on the top tab to keep it from closing. I mean, if your cutting safely it won't close anyway but you know what I mean. Where did you find that knife?

I must agree with Carl I do like that folder with the handle lock should even stop it from open when not wanted

I don't want to hijack this thread as it's about Carl's cool knife- I was just trying to point out the similarity. I would have indicated whose it was but I don't have the good habit of labeling pics when I capture them off the web.. sorry

Welcome Carl! Nice looking first blade! Not many tackle a folder as their first. It's definitely an added layer of complexity.

Well done, and welcome to the quest!

Dave

Very true I shall apologize to Carl but I must agree with Dave I haven't even thought about making a folder with out a kit yet so well done Carl I hope to see more of you work

Hey, Thanks for all the kind words guys. There's nothing to apologize for here, I appreciate the replies and conversation!

Also, I may not have been too clear, it is my first folder, not my first knife. It's probably my tenth knife, so don't be too impressed!! ;)