Everyday Viking Knife/Seax (inspired)

The Story:

I made this knife the other weekend at a smithing demo my guild was doing in Myrtle Beach for a small ren faire. We had hammered away all day on custom pieces for people and as the crowd faded away toward evening one of the blacksmiths threw on some steaks. I realized I didn't have anything decent to eat or cut steak with so I quickly fashioned this eating knife so I could cut my steak with style. I also made a fork from a piece of old scroll work from Philip Simmons shop (he is our guild's name sake). The knife worked great and cuts steak like a boss. It also makes fast work of peppers. I threw a quick copper sheath together today and will probably wear it to another ren faire this weekend, if it doesn't sell by then.

The Specs:

It is made from 80CRV2. It is a super tough steel that can take a beating. This particular knife has a pretty think spine so it can also give a beating. It’s a great steak knife but also works fine with most vegetables (carrots are a bit of a trick but if you’re a viking you’ll be fine). It’s heat treated and tempered for a nice hard edge. The knife has a cutting edge of 3.5 inches and an overall length of 7 inches. The sheath is made from copper sheet. It can be strapped to a belt via a ring and leather straps or straight to a belt via the belt loop slots.

Thanks for looking!

tumblr_ncy6p2WwlE1qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno7_1280.jpgtumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno4_400.jpgtumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno3_400.jpg

tumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno5_400.jpgtumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno6_400.jpgtumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno1_400.jpgtumblr_ndr5y993gr1qz9mvno2_400.jpg

That's awesome.

Edit: How did you make that copper sheath, and does it work well as apposed to say, leather?

Edited by Collin Miller

Collin,

I took a piece of sheet metal and cut out my shape (including the belt slots/holes). Then I annealed it and formed my bends one in the post vice and the other around a similar thick piece of steel to the knife. Once I had the shape where I wanted it I filed all the edges and hammered it together with a rubber mallet with the knife in it. Then I removed the knife and used silver solder to seal the seam. Pretty simple. Probably took me as long as someone skilled in leather work but I have no leather to work, so copper will have to do. Plus it looks pretty and a bit different. It holds the knife well as the copper is formed exactly around it. Hope that helps. I should have taken pics of the process...