Has anyone here used google ad words?

Did it vastly improve your traffic?

Sales?

What did the sales cost you from Google, on average?

Just redid my site at exploring options.

Thanks,

Dave

I run a business and this year had Ipage, a website developer, do a search engine optimization. It cost around 500.00 (that was with a website and some other work thrown in). in about 1.5 months ( I was under the impression it would take much longer so I was surprised and pleased) I was getting phone calls from people and when I asked where they found me, they said they just googled xyz service provider, in this area, and I was 1, 2 or 3rd on the list. I made the 500 back in the first phone call. A good friend of mine in the same industry had originally suggested google ad words and had many good things to say about them....when work slowed down he just put more money in and started the service back up, but your name never really declines in the searches, so you don't loose what you paid for so to speak. when I was in talks with ipage I forget all the verbage, however it made more sense to just pay it pretty much once, up front and then have it over with. If I was to do nothing else, I would probly use google ad words, it just depends on what industry...and I think price level is if you put in 5 bucks, that's fine, you just get 5 bucks work of service from google, if you put in 500, you get longer service. My2 cents... when I have marketing questions fyi I hire a genius and let them figure it out, hehe...and do lots and lots of research to back it up because a mechanic shop does not market the same as Mcdonalds, obviously, but there are many nuances to it and it took me quite a few years to figure out what really works well for me and my particular business. Good luck.

Thanks, Ryan, for taking the time to share this with me [us].

Is the company that did your search optimization [ipage] also your web site builder and site host? The price can depend on how much they have you in their pocket :)

I have a good friend who advertised in a national magazine and swears by it.

Another friend swears by Google ad words.

Another says that the search optimization is the best deal.

I am leaning towards the search optimization first, for the longest lasting return, then maybe google next, depending on how things go.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me :)

Dave

we had been using Addwords for both our ironwork site and for the bladesmithing site, we had mixed results but over all were getting a good amount off traffic (we had previously Optimized the site,) we received an email from google that told us they will no longer let us advertise our site because we sell "dangerous weapons" we can not even advertise our classes the whole site is banned from addwords.. so we are now looking for a new advertising venue...

I've worked in the web design industry for 14 years and site optimization + google adwords + analytics account is the necessary for any site build. Hiring someone who knows just what adwords to use is invaluable. As Ryan said the ongoing campaign budget is up to you. If you don't have a budget for it there are still ways you can take advantage of the google search engine. Make sure your site is Optimized (meta tags, clear headings and captions etc.) and monitor your results through google analytics account (free). As you post information watch to see where it goes, who reacts to it and where your links come from. You can see what keywords people are searching most when they do click on you (that can inform a google adwords buy). It takes some effort but if you make it a habit for a few hours a week you can get excellent results.

Good luck!