Sign in to follow this  
Tai

Bush nectar

Here's another back to basics bush from 1065, with integral socket handle and guard. The wrappings are alternating hemp and rattan sealed with natural pinyon rosin.

It's a sweet cleaving bush! :)

bushnectar.jpg

Edited by Tai

I love that knife! The wrapping just looks like it would be completely comfortable for any long-term hard use.

I have a question: My father and I are getting together on the Father's Day weekend and are going to make a knife together using his dad's old tools (the spirit of the generations will be in this knife). I have an old mower blade that I found and I'm not sure what kind of steel it is; or I have some leaf spring (that I'm not sure whether it's 1084 or 5160). What material would you suggest would be the best bet.

I love that knife!  The wrapping just looks like it would be completely comfortable for any long-term hard use.

I have a question: My father and I are getting together on the Father's Day weekend and are going to make a knife together using his dad's old tools (the spirit of the generations will be in this knife).  I have an old mower blade that I found and I'm not sure what kind of steel it is; or I have some leaf spring (that I'm not sure whether it's 1084 or 5160).  What material would you suggest would be the best bet.

25880[/snapback]

Thanks.

I've had better luck with leaf spring, but there again you never know until you try. Every piece of steel is unique. :)

Sometimes I get asked why a person who lives in the desert makes bush knives?... This "desert" isn't like the sand dunes most folks imagine.

If this isn't thick bush, then what is?

It actually rains here. :)

Here's yours truely around the side of the fire shed.

orig.jpg

I was wondering how long the blade is on the "BUSH NECTOR"? Is the knife spoken for. Thanks, great knife!

Ah, so THAT'S what your place looks like in the daylight.

I wondered.

I was wondering how long the blade is  on the "BUSH NECTOR"? Is the knife spoken for. Thanks, great knife!

25887[/snapback]

The blade is 6 and 1/2 inches. This one is spoken for, but I'd be glad to take orders on the "Bush Nectars". Delivery is usually between 3-9 months on bush knives. taigoo@msn.com.

Now Tai

Jut think of how much prettier that would look with a Hamon...... :D

Runnin and a duckin

Dan

Now Tai

Runnin and a duckin

Dan

25934[/snapback]

It has one

look near the texturing

Now Tai

Runnin and a duckin

Dan

25934[/snapback]

All "ham" and no "mon",... makes Tai moan. :D

It has a quench line (no clay), but is that the same as a "hamon"?

Is a hamon just a Japanese word for quench line, or is it a specific kind of quench line that involves clay along the back of the blade, of Japanese origin?

It just depends what you mean by hamon?

... as long as there's some "mon" with the "ham",... I like it. :)

Edited by Tai

Now Tai

Runnin and a duckin

Dan

25934[/snapback]

Does it have to be busy and flashy to be pretty?

I think not... :rolleyes:

On second thought,... why does it need to be pretty? :rolleyes:

Edited by Tai

The hamon is the pattern of the quench line (gunome, choji, suguha, toran, ecc...).

Beautiful bush!

What are the measures of your initial stock?

ciao

Adamas

Tai, I don't know whether it's appropriate to ask something like this, but what does a knife like that generally go for?

The hamon is the pattern of the quench line (gunome, choji, suguha, toran, ecc...).

Beautiful bush!

What are the measures of your initial stock?

ciao

Adamas

25960[/snapback]

I just call all of them "quench lines", of one sort of another...

I started with 1/4 by 1-1/4.

Tai, I don't know whether it's appropriate to ask something like this, but what does a knife like that generally go for?

25962[/snapback]

Maybe Tai would say "it is what it is" but I am not Tai.

I say, it is what it is and when you use it it will bring you to the point were it goes.

mmmh i think i am to cheeky. :D

Uli

Let me just say this...

I know for a fact that the guy buying this knife intends to use it. He has bought other bush knives and that's why he buys them. They are great working knives. This is the reason most people buy my bush knives, because they cut, feel and smell great! The fact that they also look good is just the icing on the cake.

However, from my experience, if you make the knife too "pretty", it never gets used.

One of the things I like to do with the bush knives is put a finish on them that will be easy for the user to maintain. This blade was etched after heat treatment and rubbed with Scotch brite, file finish and quench line intact. It can be maintained with Scotch brite, synthetic steel wool, steel wool or pumice powder to name a few things.

The quench line has some great colors and banding if you play with it in the light.

Another thing about getting your knives used, is keeping the price down. There seems to be a limit to what most average guys will spend on a working knife.

I can make knives like this for around $395, depending on the particulars. This one is 12 inches overall. I also offer mahogany scabbards for an extra fee.

Edited by Tai

Here's the scabbard on the bush nectar. It's mahogany, braided hemp, pinyon rosin, rattan and leather.

bushnectarpackage.jpg

Edited by Tai

I know for a fact that the guy buying this knife intends to use it. He has bought other bush knives and that's why he buys them.

It would be and should be a crime NOT to use one of those blades.