Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Cauble

Just bought a power hammer!

Thanks Don.

Noticed after using hammer this past week that it still makes that sound like its hitting the spring. Will be ordering a new spring tomorrow.

Started some pattern weld while I had time this evening though. Took it pretty easy. No running this thing at full speed. Didn't know what to expect as I have never set the weld on a power hammer before. Never worked a billet on one either. Ended up working flawlessly. Both billets were 9 layers a piece. 5 pieces of .250" 1084 and 4 pieces of 15N20 at .065". Billets were 3" long and 1.25" wide to start.

Looks good to me, Daniel. Hittin really hard too, smooth and good control. The noise you are hearing might be the ram rocking back and forth in the guide.

This locking ring isn't staying put I have noticed. I loosened the two set screws and pushed it back recently to clean it. I noticed that it doesn't want to stay tight against the bearing housing. After a little bit of use, it is pushed back by about .125". This allows the shaft to move a slight bit forward and backward. I figured I could order a 2 piece shaft collar to place behind this piece and make it stay put. I suspected before that the sound was coming from that and now that you say something it makes sense.

20150115_183342.jpg