Sign in to follow this  
Ondřej Borský

10th century knife

Hello!

This knife was ordered by a girlfriend who anted a gift for her loved one, for his birthday. Since the man in question reenacts 10th century, central Europe, I have searhed for somethin nicely decorated, yet not overly complicated because of the budget. I have found a piece of bone that had a carving of two birds, and I decided to use that on a knife. This is the result: Wrought iron body with tool steel edge, carved antler handle (peacock?), and a simple sheath decorated by wrought iron ftting (also from a find).

IMG_0016 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0017 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_0029 (1280x960).jpg

aaand a litle shot of the wrought structure:

IMG_0015 (1280x960).jpg

Great knife! The wrought really adds character, and the bone handle looks great.

Would I be wrong for assuming this type of knife is an ancestor to the Puukko knife?

Super.

very nice gift....

I like the wrought and the creative use of things you found. I understand the need to make budget knives for gifts (I am struggling with this myself).

good work, as usual. Glad you shared with us.

kc

I'd say that you nailed it

That is a beautiful looking knife! The blade and handle and fittings all have so much character!

Awesome job dude, keep it up :D

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words! Collin - to be honest, I have no idea. My focus lies in medieval stuff, so truly, I am clueless :) . Jajimi - I forged a rectangular bar of wrought, then I filed the "lumps" and the rods connecting them. Then, I drilled a hole halfway through each lump, and soldered a rivet to it with silver. After that I engraved the lines, etched it, bent it to shape, and went mad during the riveting. Ta-daaa :D