Knives and Hunting

These are pics and knives from a northern Idaho hunt.

WIP knife. The guard is an alloy I made with copper, zinc, and aluminum. It looks just like 14k gold, though it does tarnish. The finished product was a gift to my cousin for inviting me up to hunt.

Wip.jpg

A bear skull from the hunt, and also while out in the woods I came across a moose skeleton that had been dead for at least a couple of years. I took the leg bones and used one to make the knife. The guard is moose antler. The fore-end of the handle has a hemp cord wrap, and a leather strap is on the back end. I later donated the bear skull to a local Indian tribe and they take it to public schools for education.

Bear.jpg

A moose came up the hill to check me out. Photo taken by my cousin.

Moose.jpg

Me with the elk I took.

Elk.jpg

Edited by Tim Crocker

Awesome all the way around, the knife, the hunting pics. A wonderful way to repay someone for their hospitality! Now he has something to remind him of the moment in time from now on! B)

Great report, thanks for sharing. Looks like you made a great shot. Lucky find, that bear skull. You can spend a lifetime tramping through wilderness brush and not come across something like that.

Edited by Phil Ullrich

I really like the look of that second knife, though both are beautiful. Congrats on the elk.

Also, kudos for donating the bear skull. My local trapper's council has a wildlife education program and its dependent on donated pelts, feathers, and bones to make the display work.