Mark Green

Back to the Magnetite fields.

Hi Gang,

So, the other day I was looking at my Google earth satellite pics of many old mine sites I have near by me.
I noticed in the new pic. that my High Ti magnetite site had been clear-cut of timber. Well, it was time to go back and see.
Maybe they ripped up the ground, and magnetite would be everywhere, OR, as it turns out, the whole area has been turned into a massive brier patch, of clear-cut debris.

Sucked! What was once a nice easy wheel barrel push through the woods, is now a very dangerous struggle through waist deep briers, new trees, weeds, and LOTS of clear-cut mess!

I was able to get to a spot I knew held some good ore still, but, it was a bugger. I was able to carry out about 300lbs. of good rocks.

I meant to take the camera, but it didn't make the trip. The sad thing about all of it is that now, The ditches, dug by many slaves in the late 1700's will soon be lost to history. The loggers used the ditches to pile small wood, that will rot in place, forever covering the massive undertaking done by so many.

It's an easy place to find ore. You can fill a 5gl. bucket in a 1/2 hour, with small to golf ball size magnetite rocks, buy just walking down the power line cut.

Oh well, The ore is a bugger to prep for smelt anyway, but now that I have figured it out, and have made some very pretty swords from it, I was a bit bummed to see it in ruin.

Todays haul......

001.JPG

002.JPG

006.JPG

Nice haul! When I visited the Smoky Mountains last year, at Cades Cove I found a small marble size rock that looked similar to those, magnetic as well. It was so hard not to hunt for more, but I did not want to have a chat with a park ranger. Maybe you could make use of all that clear cut debris and run a charcoal clamp while you gather ore. :)

Mark, it is sad to see some of the history that is being lost in this country nowadays as many don't care and the other to ignorant to see.

On a slightly different level of stupidity in this country. I went to Radio Shack the other day looking for a heat sink for a SSR, Google it and this is what pops up, 41BI7HLj47L._SY300_.jpg

That is exactly what I was looking for, "So help me God", the guy looks at me and in broken English, tells me, "sir, we sell electronics, not plumbing supplies", I turned on my heal and told him in the way to the door, "so you do son and a heat sink is an electronic component, not a plumbing supplies, to bad you don't know the difference"!!

Press 1 for English

Press 2 for intelligence!

It is no wonder our history is being destroyed we have no one left that can read and write or speak in English!!!!!!!!!!!!! With that line of thinking, they can't read it, speak it, or have the intelligence to understand the significance of it if they could!! But somehow we graduated them from school, well some of them anyway! Oh, well I have often been accused of being a crotchety ole fart that like to beat a dead horse!! DeadHorse.gif

By the way nice haul on the High Ti magnetite, better get it while you can before its all covered over again!

Edited by C Craft

If its quiet enough out in the middle of nowhere place, I can bring a good sized backhoe and we can clear some mess!

Mark, it is sad to see some of the history that is being lost in this country nowadays as many don't care and the other to ignorant to see.

On a slightly different level of stupidity in this country. I went to Radio Shack the other day looking for a heat sink for a SSR, Google it and this is what pops up, 41BI7HLj47L._SY300_.jpg

That is exactly what I was looking for, "So help me God", the guy looks at me and in broken English, tells me, "sir, we sell electronics, not plumbing supplies", I turned on my heal and told him in the way to the door, "so you do son and a heat sink is an electronic component, not a plumbing supplies, to bad you don't know the difference"!!

Press 1 for English

Press 2 for intelligence!

It is no wonder our history is being destroyed we have no one left that can read and write or speak in English!!!!!!!!!!!!! With that line of thinking, they can't read it, speak it, or have the intelligence to understand the significance of it if they could!! But somehow we graduated them from school, well some of them anyway! Oh, well I have often been accused of being a crotchety ole fart that like to beat a dead horse!! DeadHorse.gif

By the way nice haul on the High Ti magnetite, better get it while you can before its all covered over again!

Ooh Brother Chris,

Here is one of my Best "Golden Nuggets" Ever for you and the "Worlds Best Heatsink / Thermal Heat Transfer" You will ever use !

This is what I use All the time in any game build and it NEVER fails me !

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7299/thr-44/Innovation_Cooling_Diamond_24_Carat_Thermal_Compound_-_48_Grams.html

And here is "All of the ones they carry " . among other things to keep your CPU Frozen/Cool all day long

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g8/c127/list/p1/Thermal_Interface-Thermal_Interface_Materials.html

Blessings & Best Regards

Edited by R. Yates

Yeah, thank you My. Yates, I wasn't trying to commandeer Mark's thread, I had just finished building a box to house the PID and other components for my heat treat oven and well......... that conversation was fresh on my mind.

And when I saw Mark's thread and begin to speak of the entire history of the area is about to be lost as well as access to the ore. It wasn't much of a leap of faith. You can't preserve history if you have no idea what it is! I mean we seem to be Hell bent to flatten the whole world in the name of progress. They do so much clear cutting around here and sometimes it makes me sick. It will take years to get those forests back.

I saw an old growth tree, that had to be 300 years old, a few years back in a State Park here locally and the only thing that saved it was it was in a swamp....... till they put the new highway in and they drained the swamp!! It would take 3 to join hands to get around the base of this tree. I often think of it and would like to one day walk back in there and see if it is still standing! It was several years ago when I was in there and not sure I could find my way back to it!!

Oh here I go again, and I was trying to make a promise to myself to not get me started again and I am rambling like an ole fool!. :lol:

Edited by C Craft

And then it took me 4 years to figure out how to smelt the stuff!!

For those that didn't click on Mark's link or don't follow along his work too much, here is something to think about: That link shows his haul of about 1200 pounds, which brought his total up to 1600 pounds. From just that source. And he needed to go back for more (though only 300 pounds). This guy smelts some iron!

Really cool pics in your link Mark.

There are abandoned gold, silver, iron ore mines, etc. etc., all over this country! When the mines played out for the big hauls they were mostly abandoned. There are many where the original mining equipment still sit!

I was at one copper mine years ago and when it played out all the original steam equipment that had been dissembled and sent up the mountain by pack mule and reassembled to do the mining, back in the day. When the vein finally played out all of that ole steam equipment was shut down and was just left there. As it would have cost more than it was worth to haul it back out! Kind of eerie in a way cause it looked like at anytime one of the old miners was going to show up and fire it all back up again!

Now that Jerrod has done the math, you do smelt a lot of ore! Most folks never even take it too the next step but you have gone to the maximum on your path. Mark!