Best refractory liner for forge welding? Non-corrosive flux?

My press is up and running, and I have begun some forge welding projects. I'm using borax as my flux, and of course it's eating the @#%! out of the inside of my forge.

I anticipated this, and bought a ceramic refractory liner for forge welding so i wouldn't ruin the actual refractory in my forge, but it's eating through the liner pretty fast. At this rate I'll go through several liners per project, adding $100 or $150 to the cost of every forge welding project.

For those of you who do forge welding, what material do you use for lining your forge so that the flux doesn't destroy the refractory?

Or, is there a good non-corrosive substitute for borax?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think you just have to accept that any forge lining will be to some extent consumable, and that gas forges used for welding with flux will soon start to look a bit tatty.

Having said that, you wouldn't want to put refractory wool where it will come into contact with molten borax.

My own gas forge is made with wool for the top and sides and bricks on the bottom, and I use fire cement to fix anything that needs fixing.

Also have a look for the thread on fluxless welding on this forum.

Dan,

There have been numerous threads discussing welding without borax which you will find interesting. I haven't completely given up borax but find that it's not as mandatory for a good weld as is often thought.

You didn't say if you are using a vertical or horizontal forge. I have both but never use the horizontal forge for welding as I get a more uniform heat in the vertical one. If you're welding with a vertical forge, then a simple way of protecting the bottom of it is to put an inch of kitty litter in it. Just be sure to use the cheap, generic type which is simply ground up clay. Clean it out about once a year & replace and it will protect the forge very well.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

If you're welding with a vertical forge, then a simple way of protecting the bottom of it is to put an inch of kitty litter in it. Just be sure to use the cheap, generic type which is simply ground up clay. Clean it out about once a year & replace and it will protect the forge very well.

Gary

Good tip, thanks Gary.