Rob Toneguzzo

3 Hawks, a long time coming- WIP

Thanks James,

Ray...I will deffinately be giving that a go..thanks for the advice and link..always very greatly appreciated.

Rob

Those came out great! To add to what Wes said, "Five is right out." I suspect I could recite most of that movie from memory...When I get an email at work my computer loudy goes "SSshhhhhooomp! Ugh... Message for you, Sire!" It used to scream "Run away! Run away!" but that got irritating after a few years. :lol:

Alan I might need to watch it again for some inspiration...

Thanks Josh.

Hopefully get to work again in the next couple of days.

My kids bought me the movie DVD, but our dog ate it. :(

A bit more progress...soaked in vinegar and scale brushed off. There are a few forge marks in the blades but I have enough thickness to get them out. The rest of the forge marks on the bowl ,neck and eye I plan to leave as they will help with the effect I hope to create in these areas when I do my final clean up of the heads and begin fancying them up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Hello to one and all.

Apologies for taking so long to progress this...ESP to KT and Kip....work and life gets in the way....I will get there's.....anyhow...here is some progress...

I have started the engraving. I plan to do a tree bark from the pipe to the blade ( on all 3 Hawks) where I will somehow make the transition to the engraving on the blade...which I will reveal as I progress.

I left the rough forged finish on the pipe and eye as it will aid in the bark effect.

Of note...I am considering trying something a bit new with the finish and have conducted an experiment as shown below.

I was cutting up some copper sulphate block for water troughs with my pocket knife and noticed that the blade immediately went a cool copper type colour. it was extremely hard to remove ( I had to sand it off) so I thought I would experiment on the bark finish..as below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

Good to see you again, Rob! The copper looks good. It is more or less a kind of flash plating, rubbing copper sulphate on steel. It's also a handy trick if you need to soft solder steel, as the copper flash really helps the bond.

Very cool effect! I am very interested in how this comes out for you.

Also neat tip, Alan.

Nice work Rob!

Just plain OUTSTANDING Terry KT

Thanks guys, got some time off coming up so hope to have some good progress soon.