Willie

Rasp to blade

I have always liked knives made from rasps. That's a good start, best of luck.

watch those square corners. someone is gonna get onto you for that. ;)

image.jpg

Got some more done. Undercut the blade at the ricasso and tang. Looking to eliminate gaps from the teeth of the rasp at the guard. Rounded the corners too

Was thinking the file guard was a bit too thin so I remade the guard from some brass. I'm aiming for a bit of "toughness with some elegance". Critique is welcome.

image.jpg

Thanks,Willie

Definitely like the brass better than the steel. Has more flair and it draws the eye because of the color. Nice work!

That one is turning out nice. The contrast of the materials set off well! I like the brass for two reasons, it is thicker and it allowed for some style. The spalted Maple shows well. As mentioned by Eddie watch those squared off corners it allows for stress areas to develop after hardening and tempering. The best thing to do is take a round file an slightly round that area. The guard covers the round and the stress areas disappear. I I would like to see at least one fine pin in the handle thru the tang. It gives you a safety on the drop/shock factor breaking the epoxy! All and all I give it high marks!!

Thanks for the replies fellas. I still have a tad more shaping to do on the guard but I hit it with some brass black for a quick peek of things to come. I'm digging the thought of a antique look to the guard instead of polished. Polished would be too flashy in my eye. Critique is always welcome.image.jpg

Still a work in progress.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got a bit more done today. Still a work in progress. Hope yall did the progress.

Thanks, willie