Bowie and a Chef Knife

Here is a couple of pieces that I finished up the week before Thanksgiving. Each one was my first attempt at its kind. I whipped up the chef knife on short notice when I found out that my uncle's friend, who is a knife and cooking enthusiast, was coming for dinner. He was impressed, but didn't offer to buy it so I still have it. The bowie just got mailed to its new home yesterday.

SANY0020_zps34c0692f.jpg

SANY0002_zps2f91cc0d.jpg

SANY0007_zpsb86574d4.jpg

SANY0008_zps986f8cbf.jpg

SANY0010_zpsb4f11ecd.jpg

The handle is curly maple. Leather spacers between the wood and brass. The blade is 10" long and 1/4" thick. Definitely my best knife and best sheath so far. After chopping through several pieces of 2-3" hard maple, it still shaved the hair off my arm. That's probably not much of a feat for a lot of you Jedi bladesmiths, but I impressed myself with this one.

SANY0012_zps551a8748.jpg

SANY0013_zpse47d1102.jpg

SANY0016_zps1746dda5.jpg

I forged the chef from a piece of 1 1/2" by 1/8" 1080. Two inches wide would probably have been better, but it's just wide enough to keep my knuckles off the cutting board. I was going for the classic French shape, but it almost looks to me like a hybrid of the French and German profiles. It has a full-height flat grind with no secondary bevel, which I found challenging. The extremely thin edge cuts like a razor, definitely the sharpest blade I have ever made. I probably would have convexed it a bit and left a little more meat on it, but I was reading about chefs demanding extremely thin knives so I left it flat and took it as thin as I dared. Probably still too thick for a lot of expert chefs (or chefs that think they're experts), but I think it would slice and dice more than good enough for the rest of us mortals.

Good looking knives my friend!!

On your chef's knife...how thick is it at about 1/2" up from the edge? Chefs definitely want thin, but even a knife with a zero edge can wedge in food (try gently slicing acorn squash with a high nicu katana lol). If it's around or under .05" or so...you're in a reasonably good spot.

You done good on those two. I like the look of the Bowie, the choice of materials works well together! I like the chief's knife as well, most professionals are going to want something stainless but I personally like it! 2thumbs.gif

Good looking knives my friend!!

On your chef's knife...how thick is it at about 1/2" up from the edge? Chefs definitely want thin, but even a knife with a zero edge can wedge in food (try gently slicing acorn squash with a high nicu katana lol). If it's around or under .05" or so...you're in a reasonably good spot.

Thanks! It's hard to say how thick it is, I wish I had a good set of calipers. Half an inch from the edge, it looks slightly thinner than my antique carbon steel chef knives.