Ebony and Mesquite drop point

Hey all! Just finished this knife up for a client today and thought I'd share with everyone! Realllly happy on how this one turned out. Everything came together really well. I especially like how the handle came out with the defined angles on it, and will most likely start doing that on all my knives.

Knife details:

1080 Steel (cold-blued)

8 1/4" overall

3 3/4" cutting edge

Ebony and Mesquite burl (Cut from my land) with SS pins

Vulcanized white spacers

DSC_9561.jpg

DSC_9573.jpg

DSC_9576.jpg

DSC_9579.jpg

DSC_9585.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Austin_Lyles

Very nice and neat! I like your scale liners, cool idea! think I should move to Texas....

Thanks! My teacher, Lee Oates, gave me that suggestion awhile back and I haven't done a knife without liners since. And Texas is a one of a kind place. Everyone should, at the very least, visit it once. Amazing people, food, beer, and views. And did I mention mesquite? :P

Austin, that is just fine. I was troubling about what handle shape to put on a knife I am making for a family gift to a friend in Texas. I have this drawing, and a pretty good idea in mind, and then suddenly... there it was on my computer screen. The shape of that handle is just what I was seeing (or at least trying to see) in my head.

Not full-tang, for the one I am making, and it has a guard. But, the overall outline is just what I have been trying to draw. I love that knife.

kc

Very nice! The sheath is a great match as well.

I see what you mean about the defined angles on the handle, and realize that is one thing my knifes have been missing so far...

Edited by Brian Dougherty

What's not to like about this one. A very complete package, size, shape, choice of materials and finally a fine job on the sheath! A big two thumbs up! 2thumbs.gif

Austin, that is just fine. I was troubling about what handle shape to put on a knife I am making for a family gift to a friend in Texas. I have this drawing, and a pretty good idea in mind, and then suddenly... there it was on my computer screen. The shape of that handle is just what I was seeing (or at least trying to see) in my head.

Not full-tang, for the one I am making, and it has a guard. But, the overall outline is just what I have been trying to draw. I love that knife.

kc

Thank you Kevin. I'm glad I was able to help in what little way I could. Make sure to post the final project of your knife so we can all see it!

Alan, I couldn't help but notice that your post on this made your total come out to 10,000 posts. Wowzers!

What's not to like about this one. A very complete package, size, shape, choice of materials and finally a fine job on the sheath! A big two thumbs up! 2thumbs.gif

Such encouraging words from everyone. Thank you! Ha, the sheath did come out pretty good! Besides the two dark patches in the tooling... Just me being dumb and TRYING to safely melt some wax buildup with a lighter. <_<

Edited by Austin_Lyles

nice lines, great piece of wood...a lovely piece of work!