Anyone from the UP on here?

Tim Tracey

Is there anyone on here from the upper peninsula of Michigan?

As far as I am aware there are really only two people who forge blades from start to finish and I'm looking to see if there are any others outbthere.

I'm from Houghton if anyone is nearby-ish I'd love to meet up and talk shop.

I was conceived along the shore of Lake Superior!

Grew up in Marquette most of my life. I took my first blacksmithing course at NMU. My last name is a road not far north of Houghton in the Keweenaw.

I now am a troll. I live in Kalamazoo. I keep meaning to run up north and grab as much iron ore as I can along those old railroad tracks up there.

I miss waking up and watching the sun come up over Superior and set over it. Best damn place it the world to be from!

The fundamental cause of trouble is that the stupid are cocksure, while the intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher
follow me on Instagram @raggedravenforge

I'm not in the UP, but I do make trips up there a couple times a year usually.

Scott Roush is in ashland WI about 45 mins west of the state line. He has a hammer-in that is pretty darn cool every year in june. Me and some friends stopped in champion on our way up and snagged about 200lbs of specular hemitite last year.

I knew there at least had to be a few people who knew about the UP! Nice to hear from you guys.

I'm familiar with Paavola rd actually, haven't been down it but have driven past it countless times.

I'll have to look up Scott Roush and see if I can get into his hammer in, not sure if I'll have many opportunities closer than that. Only so much you can learn from YouTube and playing around.

I knew there at least had to be a few people who knew about the UP! Nice to hear from you guys.

I'm familiar with Paavola rd actually, haven't been down it but have driven past it countless times.

I'll have to look up Scott Roush and see if I can get into his hammer in, not sure if I'll have many opportunities closer than that. Only so much you can learn from YouTube and playing around.

Hey Tim.. I make it out to your area a lot looking for ore and copper and agates. You are certainly welcome to Shards. If you use Facebook look me up and 'friend' me. I have a 'Shards' page where we discuss and schedule the event.

Also.. David Wesner at Kelsey Creek Knifeworks. Makes an amazingly technical forged knife.

Hi Scott, thank you for the offer. I'll have to check out the shards page.

I had the pleasure of meeting David last year at a knife show, he was the other bladesmithing I was referring to earlier in the post. I almost walked away with one of his beautiful knives that day.