Posted (edited)

I guess I have a new learning curve to climb. The added stand created a cold area at the very tip of the crucible the cotton pad I placed on the bottom, before dropping metal into the crucible, did not incorporate into the melt. I may have also place the crucible a little low in the furnace and may have been too frugal with the propane as not all my anchor chain got incorporated...so it will be cut in half and remelted at 50% at a time  I will post some pics later. melting 1636 grams must take a little longer than 600 grams of metal.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein
  • Like 1

In planning the next melt(s) I have some serious problems to consider, the crucible showed a lot of tearing cracks indicating a great degree of shrinkage  ( I could see the height of the crucible getting smaller during the melt) . To assure a greater degree of melting I will boost the carbon content to 2.0% carbon by adding 800 grams of cast iron to the ingot. I am stuck with this particular crucible for about 8 more melts and will have to shift to a higher carbon content. now I should get a  2000 gram or a 2400 gram ingot ( that is good ). I will need to make a new furnace having the air/gas inlet closer to the bottom.

Jan

OK that was 0/4 and I am taking some steps back to rethink this baby..I know what I want but am not sure how to get it. Si se puede.

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

Steeping back was a good idea.

I am not sure what I am doing is realistic. The crucibles are holding up as I just melted an 1800 gram ingot. I took an optical pyrometer to my furnace and found I am running over 3000 F  at  way below my normal V setting...I was burning up crucibles for no reason (ouch).  I should be able to go over 2000 grams but not much more. Have encountered some beautiful microstructures and will post pictures after I write it up.

So here is a picture of the 1800 gram ingot ( the goal is a large ingot to allow for a large forging, at least 2000 grams ). Also shown is a picture of a couple of 1600 gram ingots. One of the ingots did not complete the diffusion of carbon process.  Next step is to cut the  1800gram ingot to make sure the ingot is as sound as the other two. The microstructure image is of the large ingot. Very exiting stuff going on  .......... furnace , crucible handling and the microstructures seem to be falling in place.  I think I have to redefine the definition of "at heat " ...the four ingot halves were all put into one crucible and the crucible failed 15 minutes before the furnace was to be turned off.

IMG_5383.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

frame14.jpg

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

he 1800 gram ingot looks very good . The mix was half homemade cast iron and half anchor chain. When cast iron was incidental to the bloomery process the carbon  content of that cast iron was  about 3.2% carbon....now I am targeting cast iron only as a product in the stack furnace and It looks like the carbon content is moving up and I will have to adjust for it. Now that I am getting more confident with the new crucibles I will not need to split the ingots anymore. All low carbon iron was properly incorporated by extending the "at temp" time. So 2000 grams plus ingot  is on the horizonzon. We will melt a few more ingots then move the crucible furnace to make room for the forge.

t1800split.JPG 

Edited by Jan Ysselstein