Sign in to follow this  
HarrisonIrwin

Orcish Tactical Tomahawk WIP

Before I start I'd first like to say the head of the tomahawk I'm making is designed by RMJ Tactical. They make top of the line tomahawks and in no way am I trying to pass off my work as theirs or steal credit for their design! Let me say it one more time: I DID NOT DESIGN THE HEAD OF THIS TOMAHAWK. Nor will I be selling this tomahawk, it is for my own personal use and will remain in my possession forever until I pass it down to my children and so forth. If you're interested in buying a tomahawk I'd invite you to check out the work over at RMJ tactical or any other blade smith. Having said that, I would appreciate no negative comments regarding the design of my tomahawk, I'm already aware that the design of the head is somebody else's. I'm not selling this tomahawk and therefore will not be making any money from this. Thanks!

Alright so I've always thought axes and tomahawks were pretty awesome weapons and after making knives for the past 5 years I thought I'd try to make a tomahawk. Here are three axes I combined to get my design. The final design I'm going with is attached. The way I'm going to make this tomahawk might be a little (or a lot) different than most of you guys would but just keep in mind that I've had shoulder surgery so I'm trying to save my shoulder as much as possible :). I'm starting with 3/8" mild steel plate. I'm going to cut open a slit on both sides so I can insert a Damascus bit that will eventually become the cutting edge in front, and the chisel edge in back. Once I forge weld the bits in I'm going to plasma cut the shape out and go from there. Any advice along the way would be much appreciated!

I've done a bunch of these of late. One thing I have learned is that the forward tilt, or in your case, the hook at the end of the handle makes it nearly impossible to throw the thing. Since my hawk wielding friends are all throwers, this is an important point.

Just my .02

Geoff

Hey Geoff,

That's a great point! I never even thought about using it as a throwing weapon haha. The cutting edge is nearly 6" long so it's really more of a war ax than it is a tomahawk. Do you have any pictures of the hawks you made?

-Harrison

I do, but I need to hunt them up. You can throw just about any hafted thing, a straight claw framing hammer is an awesome thrower. I don't think there is much historical evidence for throwing hawks, or knives, but most of the re-enactors have throwing contests, 'cause what is better than standing around with your buddies and throwing stuff (while drinking an adult beverage)?

These are just under 12". They do throw, but beak first is what works, the little hook in the handle get's in the way of a clean release. I bet they'd split a deer breastbone like no one's business, though.

Geoff

IMG_9695 (800x533).jpg

Im digging your hawks! The one on top especially. What are they made of? By the way I noticed you're in duvall, I'm here in bothell haha.

Harrison - If you have any questions about how it's going to feel in hand, you might cut the shape out of MDF the thickness of your intended handle. You can round the corners with a router and see if it's going to feel like you want it to. Might save you some time and material if you decided that it wasn't what you though it would be.

These are both 80crv2, sort of an "improved" 1080. More recently I've been experimenting with L6. For this application I like the L6 better, with the right HT it makes for a very tough edge. These are not forged, but waterjet out of plate. I haven't tried a hybrid yet, jet to shape and forged edges, but there might be some reason to try that, at least.

We should try and meet up, it's good to forum names to faces.

Geoff

Stormcrow- Are you thinking the butt end, about where the pinkie finger would grip, would feel uncomfortable in hand?

Geoff- how thick are your hawks? I couldn't find any reasonably priced medium carbon steel to make the tomahawk out of that's why im having to forge weld in the Damascus bit into a mild steel head (Also curious to see how that would look). It would certainly be easier if I could start with spring steel and go from there. Forge welding is a lot of fun though so I don't mind.

It would be great to meet up. I just visited your website and saw you do great work I could definitely learn and thing or two from you. I didn't see any of your hawks on your website though. On a side note, do you deer hunt?

The 80crv2 hawks are .275, which is what the customer asked for, but is overkill as far as I'm concerned. The L6 is .227 and I think you could go thinner yet, I'd like to try one in .125 and see how it holds up. The steel came from Aldo (The NJ Steel Baron) and you can buy various steels in sheets up to 15" wide.

I haven't mounted any pics of these on my site, I need to revamp thinks a bit to include this side trip into the tactical world. I'm not a hunter, I just don't have the time or interest, but I do love game meat.

Geoff

Harison - You mentioned you hadn't thought of using it as a throwing weapon, and it would be a good way to see how thing fit in the hand/slip out of the hand in a throwing motion. I've done it before with testing out knife handle design.

Geoff- oh i gotcha, i looked at Aldos but didn't see the dimensions i wanted, same with admiral. I went to whiteside, over here by Snohomish, and bought mild steel plate for .80¢ a pound. Im hoping that the mild steel body won't bend or distort with use.

Stormcrow- what i mean by that is that i don't intend to use it for a throwing weapon. It's more of a small war ax/ huge tomahawk. It's about 20" long and almost a 6" long cutting edge. Ill use it for when i go camping and hunting ect. If i was going to make a tomahawk to throw i wouldn't take the time to forge weld in a Damascus bit lol