IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
James R.Fuller

Kith 2015.....?

Is it too early to be excited for another Kith? I think it should start early this year, considering how many people had time issues last year (myself included).

Just my opinion, but the long time lines are what keep me out of them. I understand people have other things going on in there lives and different circumstances, but over a long period of time it's easy to lose focus or people putting it off and scrambling at the last minute. Shorter time frames tend to keep the goal in sight and creative focus. I understand not everyone work the same...

I would be intrested in joining, Last one I did was the first one here! learnt alot on that blade and had a hard time letting it go ;)

If we do it early, might as well have the deadline something around June

Anyone have any ideas for a theme? I think boot knives would be fun....

Edited by James R.Fuller

Anyone have any ideas for a theme? I think boot knives would be fun....

lol I had boot knives on my second line, then erased as I thought no one would dig it

Neck knives, boot knives are cool with me. But you usually don't see folks take a second look at them compared to a Bowie. If a Bowie, then perhaps some dimensional length and thickness requirements? Slab handle? Hidden tang?

I am wide open.

Gary T

Paging Mark Zaleski... there are a million and one variations on "Bowie", from all times from then 'till now, with lots of seeds of inspiration and manufacturers from the American Southwest to Sheffield's shops in England. I think just the word, and something that is appropriate to the tradition, with all its possibilities and permutations, would be a lot more fun than a "standard model" where we're all making basically the same thing.

As with all KITH's, size and value aren't the point, as much as a spectrum of people putting in a best effort, so new makers stretch, and experienced makers inspire. I think it's well-understood by this point that if someone puts extra time, or expensive materials into a knife, they're doing so generously, and without expectation of getting more than a new maker's first experiment in return. Anything better is just a bonus. That's the altruism behind the history of these exchanges, anyways.

Edited by Christopher Price

I like the direction this is going. Anything and I'm in.

Pukko, or boot in for is cool too. If we were to do bnowies, I will do a shorter version as I am inexperienced with longer blades.

I would like folder, neck knife or something similar that we could carry and use everyday.

Oooh Friction folder :-) Nice! :-)

What is the rules?

No rules really.

People sign on to build a theme related piece of work. The people who have completed their work by a certain date, names goes in to a hat and they are drawn by an impartial party and a trade is done on drawn names.

By trade you mean that they exhange blades with eachother?

Correct, you might not trade with the person giving you a blade. The names are drawn in phases I believe, 1 phase who's knife do you get and the second to whom do you give your knife. Alan can give more input as he did the draw for last year.