• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
James R.Fuller

Kith 2015.....?

Bowie or puuko! I love and enjoy making both! Those are my votes if this is democratic.

But, I really enjoy working out of my comfort level!

I have been a lurker of sorts to this forum for years, and have always enjoyed the KITH every year.

Given that I have not exactly been an active member, would it be an issue if I wanted to take part this year?

Dan, That is not a problem. As long as you can make the knife, you can be in the KITH.

Correct, you might not trade with the person giving you a blade. The names are drawn in phases I believe, 1 phase who's knife do you get and the second to whom do you give your knife. Alan can give more input as he did the draw for last year.

When I do the drawing, it works by me assigning a number to each name, usually in the order you signed up. I then make a batch of uniform tokens (coins or poker chips) with those numbers on them, mix well, and draw from a hat one at a time. The first number drawn is the first whose knife on the block, as it were. The next number drawn wins that knife and his own now goes to the next number drawn, and so on down the line until the last number drawn's knife goes to the first.

Elegant and simple and totally random. B)

Thanks, James.

Count me in then. As far as options go, I would be equally fine with a bowie or a puukko. Bowie is more in line with my comfort zone, so it might be fun to go with the puukko.

i too would like to compete again, i really like these KITHs

both because i like making knives for someone other than myself, and because i then get to handle and own the work of antoher bladesmith

i think that, after saxes, bowies are the most fun type of knives to make, so my vote goes to bowie.

i like almost all styles of knife though, so i wouldn't mind something completely different ^_^

I am new to knife making, and new to the forum. I have been making a new knife every couple of weeks and by the time July rolls around I believe my skills will be halfway decent. Still, I'd hate for someone who is significantly more skilled to get an amateur piece. Is it kosher for newbs to participate?

I am new to knife making, and new to the forum. I have been making a new knife every couple of weeks and by the time July rolls around I believe my skills will be halfway decent. Still, I'd hate for someone who is significantly more skilled to get an amateur piece. Is it kosher for newbs to participate?

They let me in two years ago. Can't do much worse than what I was.

I have only started making a few months ago. I believe it will motivate you even more to perform above what you think you can do.

Anyone entering this that is above amature skill level, pretty much accepts that they will most likely end up with a beginners blade. It's one of the best parts about doing a KITH. It challenges new smiths to be better than before, and gives older smiths an opportunity to help the newer ones grow as smiths.

I have to withdraw my name....

I screwed up another bevel attempt and wont have enough time to forge out another one.

Sorry everyone, I really wanted to be part of this, but that diamond cross section is NOT easy, kudos to those that can do it because at this time its beyond my ability.