Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Price

Resilience Forge

I wanted to take a moment and post here, since it hasn't been mentioned yet. Bladesmith Nate Bocker, myself, Jim Crawford, and a handful of others have been working to start a non-profit entity dedicated to the teaching of forging (broadly, not just knives, though they are an obvious focus) to wounded veterans. Nate started this as a hobby, reaching out to the Warrior Transition Battalion at Ft. Belvoir, and it has grown powerfully from there.

While there is fundraising going on, that's not the focus of my bringing it up here. We're also looking for tools, safety equipment, etc., that might be useful in a second home if you're done with it. Worn out tong? We'll re-forge them. Bulk leather gloves you have too many of? We can use them. That sort of stuff, from the mundane bag of earplugs up to large power equipment that needs a good home. We're in the process of relocating out of Nate's garage in base housing, and will have non-profit information soon for anyone wanting a tax deduction.

If money and tools aren't anything you can help us with, books, videos, any educational material is always welcome too. If you are within striking distance of Washington DC and would like to be personally involved, hit us up and we'll be happy to work something out with you. Larry Harley and Bill Wiggins will be here in a couple weeks for a weekend-long course in knifemaking, not dissimilar from the French Camp activity pinned above, but for wounded veterans and their families, the focus of our program. We've already hosted Dr. Sandy Klein, and hope to have others visit in the coming months.

If the least you can offer is simple encouragement to our students, please feel free to do so on our facebook site, https://www.facebook.com/resilienceforge

Our main website is http://www.resilienceforge.com/

Mostly what we're looking for is partnership with other smiths in whatever way makes sense for them and us, encouragement and enablement for our students, and fellowship with them as they progress and enter "the club."

Feel free to spread the links around, all the awareness we can get helps. Nobody makes a dime off donations, it all goes to our legal and operating costs, facility, tools, equipment, etc. These are guys who would have trouble leaving their room all week, but they come out for this. They get purpose, they get education and skills, they get a finished product at the end of each project, they're getting tools they make with their own hands to self-supply them moving forward. They get a future, a new "tribe" to belong to, and I hope not too long from now you see some of them posting their work here.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Chris, this is something incredible you all have going on here. I saw what Nate had started and thought what a great opportunity it would provide. If I ever make a home out in that part of the country, I would love to help you gents out. Although I don't have anything at the moment that I can contribute, I will have you in the back of my thoughts should the occasion arise. I really want to thank you for what you are doing, especially since it undoubtedly comes at a nontrivial personal cost (not necessarily purely financial).

Keep up the great work!

John

Neither the time nor the energy it takes is trivial, you've got that right. I have the luxury of a day job, so I can turn my hobby time to this effort, but it still comes at the cost of time with my family, and my own ambitions in the shop. Nate doesn't post here much, but let me tell you his sacrifices to make this happen are considerably greater than mine, and what I admire most is the dedication to his fellow soldiers, from the very depths of his heart. Because nobody else is reaching out to them in a meaningful way, and what he's tripped on here has an immeasurable impact to the men and women involved. It is so very difficult to describe in text, the reality of it must be felt.

That's what makes it worth it though.

And, thank you for the pin, whoever was responsible for that. Many thanks indeed.

This video by Mr. Fogg is one of the powerful seeds that got Nate going, and I wish I knew how to get a clean version of it, so we could include it in a larger documentary about our project we're working on.

To prevent any thoughts that we're too stoic for our own good, I offer the following shenanigans between the venerable Mr. Larry Harley, and the Esteemed Mr. Bill Wiggins...

HarleyGrab-L.jpg

This video by Mr. Fogg is one of the powerful seeds that got Nate going, and I wish I knew how to get a clean version of it, so we could include it in a larger documentary about our project we're working on.

Christopher:

This was shot at Arctic Fire 2012. We have the high rez version of the video (and a lot more of it, the interview lasted nearly an hour).

For such a worthy cause I'm sure I can get the other owners of Fiery Beards Productions to give you non-exclusive rights to use the footage. PM me.

Dave

By the way, you might be interested to know that the pipe music playing in the background of the interview with Don is actually being played by none other than Jake Powning.

That's very cool to know, it's nice and perfectly appropriate to the clip as given. Within a re-cut, it may be out of place, but not for lack of quality. PM sent, and thank you.

I just wanted to offer an update on our status. We filed for and received our LLC paperwork earlier this year, and a couple weeks ago got the 501c3 confirmation from the IRS, so we're legit to take tax-deductible donations. There's some state paperwork remaining before we can actively solicit, but I just wanted folks to know the project continues to move along nicely.

wish I was close enough to attend. 14 year disabled army vet here and would kill for an opportunity like you guys offer.

wish I was close enough to attend. 14 year disabled army vet here and would kill for an opportunity like you guys offer.

There is an effort to establish chapters elsewhere. We get a lot of interest from other veteran knifemakers to teach this way, we're just getting things sorted out before they can open for business. Might take a little while, but don't despair. We'll get there.

• Like 1

Fantastic! Glad to hear that the paperwork came through, that's awesome to hear. I'd love to keep up the help and support in any way I can.

Cheers!

Im service connected disabled by 10% i by no means am a war vet Do i count :P

Yes. I was active duty, peacetime, zero disability, but we all signed the papers, and put ourselves up for service. That's enough, so is being a family member. The whole point is to not just take in the most broken of our brothers, but to make sure everyone who's been there and done that feels like there's another tribe after the uniform, where the same jokes still play, the same sense of fellowship can be found, and where new tasks can be undertaken, new goals achieved, and new missions fulfilled. It's not always about the knife, either, but that's obviously where we tend to gravitate.