Kith 2015 theme poll

Kith 2015 theme poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Kith 2015 theme

• Puukkos
    • Bowies
    • Boot knives
    • Folders
    • Other (Please explain in the comment section)
    • LOTR themed knives

I like Geoffs' idea. Like many or you I have a box full of scrap bits. I would really like to put them to use in some way. But I think the only way I could use them is if I could smelt the bits into a billet. The only problem is that I don't have a way to do this. I know that Neils Provos has a smelting furnace, and he lives pretty close to me. I doubt he would let me come over and use it though. I could attempt to forge weld all the scraps, but most if not all my fuel and resources needs to go to producing knives I can sell. I know, excuses excuses.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also like the scrap Idea, however for makers/hobbyists who do not produce knives for a living we do not have allot of scrap or in my case I don't, since I have only recently actively started making knives hence have not built a bin of off cuts and excess materials.

We could always make a LOTR inspired folding Pukko ? Which sounds like a brilliant project actually :-D

:D Ha! I love the wit! Though the concept is somewhat unsettling. :unsure:

I voted for folders, but am good with anything that lends itself to the EDC role, including Pukko and even the boot knife.

James

Edited by James Spurgeon

We once did a "Scrap" KITH on an old forum, the rules were, you couldn't go and buy anything. Had to be cut-offs, whatever, roadside finds. Just no new purchase of material. There were some really creative entries, mine was built from a large section of rebar, a little cherry wood scrap, plywood, and more plywood for the scabbard. I learned that if you grind plywood really well and evenly, it sorta looks like micarta - getting the laminations to line up side to side is cool, even if it's still plywood.

Don't laugh, the image data says 2007, the knife may be earlier.

scavenger.jpg

I voted for Puuko, it seems like there's enough variation in the general style that you wouldn't see the same thing twice, especially with the diversity we've got here.

that being said, I'm signing up regardless of what gets chosen.

Usually at a certain time. Admins and participants, would it not be a good idea to set a deadline and at certain intervals before the deadline you eliminate the lowest scoring option so those votes can get recast to the remaining options. Simulating a sort of last option standing.

Edited by Rudolf Harmse

I voted boot knife, but looking back on it I should have voted puukko.....:) Bowies take tooooooo long to hand-finish, and I've always wanted to make a puukko anyway....

You know, Puukkos are small blades. Most people probably do have enough scrap metal to make one. Scrap metal puukkos could be a fun build. And even if you didn't have scrap metal, you could just use scrap handle material and purchase the steel.

I'd be really excited for a scrap knife. I'm really into the idea of repurposing things right now, and would love for an excuse to get some work done in the shop B)

I use scrap and recycled materials almost always :lol:

We may try for bigger chalenge unexpected materials.

Here are two examples from my friend work (he is great inventor in this)

LP kydex and parsley handle:

kydexyx.JPG.jpg

3.JPG (1).jpg

7.JPG.jpg

How about this?

• A minimum of 3 inches blade length. Small blades will allow more people to participate and make the KITH more lively. If someone wanted to go bigger, that would be fine but, it is not required. Puukko do not get very large, in general. If you want to make a big blade... Do a Leuku instead of Puukko, Heck, make a set with Leuku and Puukko. If you do, I hope I get your entry!
  • Stick tang knife with scandinavian grind, i.e. no secondary bevel to the edge other than a micro-bevel. Blade of a diamond cross section with the ridge 1/3 of the width from the spine. No plunge cuts and ricasso, just diamond cross section all the way to the handle. blade ground with 17 degree bevel (per side, 34 degrees included.) Unless you do a Leuku, in which case use classic shape, thickness, and grind.
  • Traditional, leather sheath, with wood insert, is part of the package. A good challenge to develop some new skills.
  • Incorporate as many found, unexpected, or scrap components as possible.
  • Make something that fits the traditional aesthetic with out the requirement of traditional materials. Maybe you have small pieces of scrap micarta that you plan to use in place of a stacked, birch bark, handle. If you want to use traditional materials that would be fine too.
  • Names to be drawn July 31.

~Bruce~