Kith 2015 theme poll

Kith 2015 theme poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Kith 2015 theme

• Puukkos
    • Bowies
    • Boot knives
    • Folders
    • Other (Please explain in the comment section)
    • LOTR themed knives

Seems good to me,time and materials wise.

the only comment I have is that for less experienced makers,or people with limited tools it could prove too big of a challenge to create a blade with such specific geometry and edge angle.

Ps. With less experienced makers I also mean myself. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These have never been done in such a strict manner, in my opinion it's best to say.

"Make a puukko to the best of your ability"

I feel that with this group that is the best way to push and encourage one another.

• 2 weeks later...

These have never been done in such a strict manner, in my opinion it's best to say.

"Make a puukko to the best of your ability"

I feel that with this group that is the best way to push and encourage one another.

definitely this ^^

if voting is done we should close the pole, i voted boot knife but i'm down for anything at this point.

I have a question, and this might be the best place to ask....

Would a typical viking era knife be considered puukko-ish enough to qualify for this KITH, or should I stick with something more modern?

3d4f20130c30ea5d.jpg

post-26459-1240257992.jpg

The primary difference is these are usually flat ground or convex, the shape is almost identical and the culture the same, minus 1000 years....

I certainly wouldn't mind getting a small seax from you, but I think the spirit was more along the lines of the last couple hundred years. I think there's plenty of room for interpretation as long as the general form is followed, I'm already working on mine and have an east-meets-west thing going on.

I think it would count as a puukko as the sheath construction and blade profile is almost identical it is just a different finish which was probably what was the best attainable at the time.

• 3 weeks later...