deker

2015 Fire & Brimstone

I may also come down early. Just so early arrivals know, I am NOT cooking for Thursday night. :(

-Doug

I'm getting down there Thursday afternoon or evening now. Just booked a motel room where I stayed last year. Doug, if you're down there thursday, I'll treat you to supper somewhere =) You've fed us plenty of times, let me feed you ! =D

Thanks Justin, I would enjoy that. I'll let you know once we get closer and I have the logistics worked out. I want to come down early, but I need to work out reheating the BBQ in an alternative oven. Not everyone has a PID controlled oven in their basement. ;-)

Edited by Doug Seward

I THINK I have the website mostly updated finally.

registration should have the right dates on it as well.

Thanks Kerry!

Just registered, now it's just the wait!

Aargh! Just realized I'm going to be out of town at a wedding the same weekend. Enjoy, folks, looks like it's going to be a great time!

I am going!! Registering this Friday!!! First time here. Can't wait.

This has become somewhat of a tradition, taunting you guys with a few pics of the "work in progress".

As I compose this, the briskets are slumbering in their marinade on the back porch, in a cooler without ice (to keep them from freezing). I am starting to marinade myself in my well-needed, self-prescribed martini after three hours of brisket prep on top of too much snow shoveling and snowblowing.

I sure hope it warms up tomorrow as it is currently 15F headed for a low of 9 degrees tonight.

45 pounds of briskets from Restaurant Depot

16738050832_0bdf788da9_o.jpg

Trimmed

16553033669_95d68acd20_o.jpg

Whipping up some marinade

16553010669_d65920bf5f_o.jpg

Finally done

16738050812_4d1c916ab6_o.jpg

Until tomorrow when they go on the smoker. Good Night. -Doug

Just got my registration in! Doug, I grew up less than an hour from the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. Looking forward to talking spirits with you!

I slacked off last night and didn't post any pics. The one below is as they went on to the grill. Charcoal consumption and cooking time were both up due to the cold. I was so glad it warmed up today to nearly 50F.

On the grill around 10PM last night

16733471146_810d5f4d61_o.jpg

I pulled the briskest off the grill after 20 hours of cherry and pecan smoking.

16571783998_ab2643ea57_o.jpg

Love that cherry wood smoke ring.

16759351755_17f0366570_o.jpg

The whole load is being fan cooled on the back porch. Tomorrow morning, into the freezer they go for the next 2.5 weeks. One more item completed. Hope everyone enjoys the pics. -Doug

Edited by Doug Seward

I really need to sit down with you and talk about how this is done, because once a year is simply not enough for my tastes.

Thanks guys. Christopher, I am happy to share all I know about BBQ anytime.

Looking forward to the folks and the food. F&B is always a great time. Doug, those pictures were an

unresistable tease. (We need a drooling smilie)

Bill

All registered now =) Had to wait for my roomate's rent payment to clear paypal so it used some of that instead of taking it out of my bank =P

Cant wait to try it!

We will be installing a 100lb Bradley this coming weekend as part of our new MAN at ARMS filming.

We are planning to change to Humphrey charcoal this year. It has good reviews for cooking , is locally made and about half the cost as we can get it wholesale.

Input anyone on this?

Never heard of it Kerry, so I googled it, as long as it's the hardwood lump and not the briquetes, it should work just fine. They were advertising no building scraps, and no added chemicals. As long as no one else opposes.

Kerry,

I have cooked with Humphrey charcoal and it is fine. About half of charcoal I used in this cook was that brand. I also use Frontier from BJs at $20 for 34 pounds.

I have a favor to ask of you and the charcoal choppers. If you guys could put aside the really big chunks for me to use on brisket cooks, it would be very much appreciated. I can bring a trash can of the "small pieces" which I have accumulated that are too small for me to cook with but work for the smelt. The really large chunks (fist size or bigger) really help on the overnight phase of the BBQ cooks. I would be grateful. -Doug

At 600 lbs it is 10$ per 20lbs