deker

2015 Fire & Brimstone

Turns out the new (restored) Bradley Hammer will be coming on Friday. I have no idea yet if it will be functional by the weekend but it seems possible.

Defy Media (the guys who shoot Man At Arms) will indeed be there with a small crew shooting some fill shots for the upcoming season. There is a chance we will get some group shots for Smith and Forge Hard Cider (they bought the hammer we are installing) We are waiting to hear if there will be a cider delivery, it is quite possible.

Sounds even more exciting ! Every time I've been down to the shop a new hammer has arrived... maybe you should have me make the drive down more often and you'll have more hammers than you know what to do with !

I'll be arriving thursday evening to the baltimore area (staying at a motel in west baltimore) so I can be there bright and early on friday to help setup, cleanup, build smelters, and anything else you need

I love hard cider, so it'd be nice if they have some of that on hand too, otherwise I'll just have to bring my own ! =D

I'll be there Thursday sometime Kerry if you guys need help getting everything ready. I think the plan is to get the smelter built Friday afternoon after Mark gets there.

I'll be there late Thursday afternoon. Justin, I PM'd you my cell #.

The preparations continue. Spent the afternoon heat treating a little bacon. :-)

16908083071_e46c6d340e_o.jpg

Heat treating LOL. hope you didnt get it too hot though.

Nope, just ran the colors to a chestnut brown. ;-)

Doug, you are an evil genius...I am severely bummed I can't make it this year.

I just sent my registration email, and PayPal. I ought to be in the area early afternoon on Friday. I am also willing to help with whatever may be needed. I would also be willing to stay late to help clean up afterwards.

For those interested I will be bringing the possible Iyetsugu blade conversed about in "marks to be identified"

I should be there Fri, before noon. Hopefully, the weather will co-op, for the smelter stack prep.
All ready on this end. Lots of easy ore roasted and ready.

Never tried that charcoal, but It sure can't be worst the any other going around. HD, had the great sale going on the Royal oak, just before I went to war. I got a pallet or two.

Even on sale, it was more then 50c a lb. The thing I like about the RO is that I can prep 8 bags or more in an hr. for smelting/forging, with very little loss. Usually, at least half is already of size.

Looking forward to it.

Both Royal Oak and Cowboy can be bought in quantity right up the street if there is any issue but this stuff sounds like it will be as good.

It is locally made and Larry Nowicki gets it wholesale for us.

Is it a Yater burn? I've seen his videos...

I'll be there Friday morning, probably around 8:30. No idea what morning rush hour is like up those roads, I usually come on an evening, but my daughter needs an early morning ride to MD, and it's on my way, so I'll drop her off at 50/beltway, and head up directly. Like the others, fully available to help move gear, chop charcoal, pose for cameras, whatever.

My work for the weekend will include showing how I do my pocket change mokume, making bloom into plate (assuming the press is up and running, and free for a couple squeezes), and working with meteorite and tool steel. I'll also be available to talk about the Resilience Forge project, since our main man Nate is down at the ABS school and won't be home in time to join us. Nate Loosevelt has been instrumental in helping the activity gear up, so if anyone's got questions on how they can help, between us I'm sure we can come up with the right answer.

Christopher, I'm definitely interested in the mokume, and meteorite work! I've made a ring from meteorite and silver filled steel, but it was a pain! I'd love to learn some tricks.

i am relatively local (Alexandria VA), relatively new to bladesmithing/blacksmithing (say about a year and a half experience), and am toying with the idea of registering to attend, however:

1. Not sure that I should be attending, as i have minimal experience and am not sure what i would bring to the table as everyone seems to know what skills and/or knowledge they want to demonstrate.

2. not sure if it is too late to register

3. if i do go, i have no idea what i should bring (myself, hammer, current project, small anvil, small gas forge, etc.)

any light that you all can shed would be greatly appreciated.

Bring safety glasses and gloves. We provide breakfast and lunch.

Not too late, we are still buying food for the event and the 600 lbs of charcoal and 500 lbs of propane we burn are on the way.

You need interest, not experience. Coming to an event like this where so many experienced makers are interacting can give you a huge leap on understanding this path.

We basically aren't advertising the event and I'd say 60 percent of those attending are yearly regulars. They will help and quickly make you feel welcome.

You are of course encouraged to bring projects and anything to show,sell or trade.

i am relatively local (Alexandria VA), relatively new to bladesmithing/blacksmithing (say about a year and a half experience), and am toying with the idea of registering to attend, however:

1. Not sure that I should be attending, as i have minimal experience and am not sure what i would bring to the table as everyone seems to know what skills and/or knowledge they want to demonstrate.

2. not sure if it is too late to register

3. if i do go, i have no idea what i should bring (myself, hammer, current project, small anvil, small gas forge, etc.)

any light that you all can shed would be greatly appreciated.

You are also very close to me. Make sure you find me this weekend, I love hooking up with other smiths nearby.

Just finishing up the Carrot Cake before loading up. I am running low on the "flavoring" whiskey for the frosting.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely I'll every run across another bottle of it. :-( Fantastic while it lasted. :-) -Doug

16728473737_593ce00fc3_o.png

I haven't seen another bottle of G.T.S. In a while, I thought it'd be a once in a lifetime thing! And the junior just isn't the same...

you all have fun , I wish I could be there.

Emailed registration, paid via paypal. (finally had a need to create an account, who'd of thought i could go 15 years without buying something through ebay...)

Chris, i have a feeling that i am more than close, being a little over a block away from you (may blvd). i will look you up when i get there saturday.

I've checked in in Elkridge Days Inn, being the closest place with vacancies.

I'm not sure where to go from here... I didn't see an address or directions on F&B dot com; if anyone could help out that'd be much appreciated.

Baltimore Knife and Sword Co.

754 Marriottsville Road

Marriottsville, MD 21104

i think... well it will be where i drive tomorrow morning.

That's the right place. If your early park at the church lot at 790 Marriottsville or once it is full there are lots of spaces 3 houses down on lots either side of the railroad tracks. The rail road lots close at dusk but are good for all day