Angrist-Inspired (progress)

A customer of mine asked that I make him a knife inspired by 'Angrist' or 'Iron Cleaver' from the Silmarillion. This was the dwarvish-forged knife used by Beren to cut a silmaril from Morgoth's crown. I was so happy to get this order. We both wanted to use something from the cultures and time period that J.R.R. Tolkien was himself inspired by.. and a Germanic war knife came immediately to mind... especially with Mark's amazing thread going. I had also already visited this theme last year with a couple of fighting knives that had similar integral finger guards so I already had some experience with the hot chiseling required to open up the grip (from a great topic on myArmoury).

For the blade I chose to do a billet with wrought iron/nickel/1095 in the top of the stack followed by a bunch of 1095 shim stock. The idea being to keep the wrought/iron mix oriented in subsequent foldings so as to stay in the spine.

Right now I'm currently putting on the handle scales. I've chosen a very wild section of Lake Superior black oak that has lots of worm holes. The worm holes show dark coloration showing areas of higher mineralization (this stuff has been sitting in mud underwater for a hundred years or more). I'm also dishing out some small bronze peening blocks. You can't see it in the pictures yet.. but there are bronze liners under the wood scales.

So here is where I am:

10377024_830785186962904_703779353447197

10169161_830784760296280_516676077749312

10169161_830784756962947_184617430512538

10169161_830784753629614_344425045265108

10169161_830784763629613_793737566232260

10940603_831162476925175_425595583815599

More tomorrow..and thanks to Mark Green and Peter Johnsson for educating us about this amazing knife. It feels so effective in the hand.. I can't believe that it hasn't become a standard 'tactical' knife for modern combat.

Edited by Scott A. Roush

Awesome progress so far, Scott! I love the shape of the blade and the upswept back of the handle. It certainly has your feel to it. Can't wait to see it finished!

John

Well I'm trying to get an updated photo.. but the dang flu has struck. It's running rampant up here in the Northwoods.

So in the meantime I'd like to ask for some thoughts. Obviously I do not hold the copyright for the name 'Angrist'. So technically I really can't call it that. But.. my customer WANTS it to be. And I do too. I'm assuming I can get away with calling it 'Angrist-inspired' (although my sketch is a bit misleading). My guess is that I can get away with calling 'Iron Cleaver'... which is the translation. I want to put 'Angrist' on the grip in runes... but then I'm violating copyright. So.. Just curious what people think about this issue. I'm not really afraid the Tolkien estate would come after me because I put out such low-volume one-off pieces.... But am I missing something? It's also possible that the name isn't even copyrighted because I read that it was going to be possible for somebody to make elements of the Silmarillion because portions of it were told in the LOTR. Anyway.. I don't want to try to get away with anything or do anything at the expense of somebody else's work.

Edited by Scott A. Roush

Wow, I love the whole thing - concept and execution. I wouldn't worry too much about the copyright issue. Copyright issues get very fuzzy very fast. There may be no real answer in this case. Or it may be like speeding - everyone does it, but the cops only go after the egregious violators.

Scott - I just think the pattern contrast in the spine of this thing is awesome. I mean, I like the whole thing, but that part puts it over the top for me.

kc

Thanks guys...

I've just recovered from a bad bout of the flu. I will try to update this thread today or tomorrow. Not fun.

Good grief, that looks awesome. Are you going to make a sheath to go with it?

Hjarn (Jarn) from my understanding is the Old Norse word for iron. Maybe you could use that as the root.

There doesn't appear to be a direct translation from Old Norse to cleaver, but I found sledda which is knife and cutter. So I guess you could call it Hjarnsledda and keep it in the spirit of things. I'm not even sure if that is grammatically correct, but it flows well.

Edited by Howie