Some Recent Work

Tim Tracey

Work has kept me busy recently but I've managed to squirrel away some time to work on some smaller pieces. Between work and the bitter cold temps up here in the U.P. my time in the shop has been pretty limited. I dream of the day where I have a better shop where the weather won't be as much of a factor. But I digress...

My friend asked me to make him a fillet knife, never having forged one I was nervous to make one for him so I, and dont judge me ;), I bought a blank. I was too concerned about the heat treatment of a long fillet knife and there isn't much out there for reading or online that I was able to find. So all I really did was put the scales on and practice some sheath work, and tried my hand at taking some nice pictures to make up for the lack of forge work.

The knife is an overall 16 inches with a 10.5 inch blade with curly maple scales. Beautiful wood, I found out first hand how hard chatouyance is to capture in a picture. Mild steel pins, peened and very slightly domed with a brass lined lanyard hole.

The second knife is more of a letter opener since it's low carbon steel rail road spikes that were recovered from the trails that used to be rail roads for all the copper mining that used to be so prevailant in this area. Not to go into too much history but a small town where I live was almost the capital of Michigan.

Overall about 8 inches with a false swage on the top. I left plenty of hammer marks and "forge finish" with a beeswax finish to keep it interesting and to contrast with the high polish areas.

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Well both are interesting for different reasons. Even though they don't hold and edge well the spike knives always catch my interest. I wouldn't judge you at all on the other one except to say that turned out to be a fine fillet knife. I have thought of doing some of those myself. Many will say the handle needs to be something that water won't effect but for me the curly maple really reeves my engine!! Great final product! 35.gif

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Thanks for the comment. I was concerned about moisture so I used stabilized wood, tung oil treatment, and wax to finish. It should be good to go.

The rsul road spike knives are popular around here, lots of history so its fun and easy to make. Besides I've got a while box of them!

I work with a bunch of guys who are avid salmon and steelhead fisherman, on a religious level. And I would do the same thing, one asked for a hand made fillet knife and I show them the completed blanks in the catalogs, I want to try some stainless some time, but not a fillet knife for a first.

I love curly maple too.