Stirling engine blower for furnace

There are some catchs like that you must maintain one part cold (that could be solved by water cooling or by part of blow).

Greatest catch for me is that I´m not enough engineer type to made machines like this :D

I have no understanding of what make an engine like that work but I could see spending a lot of time trying to rig a blower to one. You know, have a blown forge where there is no electricity.

Doug

A Stirling engine is an external combustion engine, a quick Google search will get you lots of information. It uses a pressure differential from the hot side to the cold side of the engine to make a piston move. The greater the differential, the faster the engine runs. There is a woodstove fan that is sold that is a Stirling drive. It just sits on the top of the stove. They tend to be low torque, which is why the one in the video has to be started by hand.

Another interesting feature of Stirlings is that if you run the piston with a motor, you get both hot and cold as your outputs. A motor driven Stirling engine is one of the ways to produce stuff like liquid hydrogen.

I had an idea (which has never gotten farther than the concept stage) that you could use a solar accumulator (a parabolic mirror) to drive a Stirling engine, which would in turn drive another Stirling engine to produce refrigeration in places where power is an issue.

Cool stuff.

Geoff

Hello Hloh,

I am not sure it will be a Sterling Engine, but something should be there to capture to lost energy of a large forge fire...crucible furnaces are just as bad. Maybe we will have to wait until we are all paying a carbon tax to play at the forge.

Thanks for the nice video....By the way I am a fan of your projects....they demonstrate the reason for making knives.

Jan

I believe those stove-top fans are actually not steerling but direct heat to electricity via peltier. Problem with a steerling on a stove top is how to keep the top side cool. As noted, the greater the temp difference the more efficient as after some time on the stove the gradient would be small.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Stove-Fan-for-under-50/

HTHs

I could see it working well on a coal forge.

Just like in the video, you have the tip of the cylinder touching the firepot. As the firepot warms up, you give the flywheel a whirl and it starts running all by itself.

The pump them pushes air to the tuyere.

There's always been a remarkable difference in heat below any coal forges that I've run so I don't see how this wouldn't work if you scaled it up to just the right size.

Would you have enough heat/energy to run more than the forge's blower? I really don't think so unless you went through a complicated flywheel set up with jack shafts and sundry. And even then you could only work as long as the forge was burning.