3 steels and bog oak

Just finished this one up....

darkerseax2_zpsexlziyjz.jpg

And knowing the pattern would be hard to make out....

darkerseaxdetail_zpstrfy6q0j.jpg

The blade is 2 twists of 1084 and 15n20 sandwiched between w1 (I needed a break from wrought iron) 6 1/2" long, and the handle is bog oak, overall length 11 11/16". I'm not entirely happy with the patina on the bronze sheath fittings, but at least the texture is visible.

This one feels really good in the hand....

Thanks for looking.

Edited by GEzell

looks good to me. I like the 3-bar composite. the bronze looks good, too.

kc

Beautiful! Just wondering, how come you carve the sheaths and not the grips? I was curious because I love the look of carved wood grips.

Looks awesome George! Nice proximal taper (am I seeing that right?) that can be one of my favorite details in a properly nuanced seax :). So I'm a little curious...do you freehand tool your sheaths or sketch the design on first somehow?

Beautiful! Just wondering, how come you carve the sheaths and not the grips? I was curious because I love the look of carved wood grips.

My wood carving skills are, shall we say, not yet ready for prime-time.... I have been practicing though.

Looks awesome George! Nice proximal taper (am I seeing that right?) that can be one of my favorite details in a properly nuanced seax :). So I'm a little curious...do you freehand tool your sheaths or sketch the design on first somehow?

I've been using an orange or red sharpie to draw the design on the leather first, this shows up good on wet leather, and is hidden/covered when the leather is dyed after tooling. This one's design is based on an Irish original, and is one of my favorites... it borders on random chaos, with just a few hints of organized knot-work peaking through.

Very awsome work! Before coming to this forum, I didn't know what a seax was. Now that I see them done here, in such great form, yes, the the bug has bit! Thanks for posting, both such a great knife and sheath!

Mitch