Sign in to follow this  
Dan Bourlotos

Puukko KITH WIP

Recently, I have been infected with the PWV (Pattern-Welding Virus) and have not been able to get my mind off it. My first few attempts were with 1084 and 15n20 from Aldo, and had a few delaminations scattered throughout the billet. After figuring out what I did wrong, I decided to practice some techniques on some odd pieces of 15n20 and 1018 I had lying around, because buying ground flat stock just to experiment on was getting a bit expensive :P

Wish I had some pics of the steps up to this point, but I was experimenting on a variety of levels. Here is a test etch of the blade so far. It is still a bit on the thick side, so I still need to thin it down a hair. This was welded up with a "hot dog and bun" approach. The "bun" being a 12-layer simple twist of 15n20 and mild and the "hot dog" a piece of 1084.

Test Etch.jpg

So, I skipped a "few" steps with my KITH. I move at the end of the month, so I figured I should probably get this little bad boy done. I re-profiled the blade, and the fittings are copper and buffalo horn with cherry. I managed to do quite a bit of the handle, and felt pretty accomplished with it until i stepped back and noticed that it favors less of a "Finnish" vibe, and more a "Japanese" vibe.

Not really sure how to fix that, to be honest, but it seriously bugging me. If it was my blade, I would be pretty happy, but given the goals of this KITH, not so much.

Any suggestions?

2015 KITH.jpg

Set it aside for a day or two and see if it improves when you are not looking at it ;) . I learned this 'technique' from my master smith, and it is often helpful.

Looks very good! Are you going to make a sheath for it? Because of the shape of the handle "hattutuppi" might work best.

Edited by J.S.Voutilainen

The nice part about kith's are that our personal styles can shine through

Anyways I would try to put some simple northern European style line work on the handle, even a small amount will change the over all feel, and a puukko sheath will take away any doubts you have :)

It is all about the accessories :)

J.S.V, I had to look up "hattutuppi" to know what you were talking about. That seems like it might be a good way to make sure that it is secure in the sheath. Most of the hattutuppi puukkos I found seem to be pretty well used tools, and vary quite a bit in design. Most of them have super simple handles, like this. Taking a step back and letting it mull over in my mind was also good advice.

MLenghan, I will have to figure out that I want to do. I had planned on doing some decoration if I could. Might be the extra touch that keeps it away from tanto-ish territory. Time to research some northern European decorations.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, so here is the "Finnish"ed knife. Still struggling with the sheath and getting it snug enough on the blade, but it will come in time.

Given that this is my first finished pattern-welded blade, and this billet was my second PW billet too (done by hand), and I made sure to take my time. All in all, I am pretty happy with it even if the handle still looks a bit off. I want to keep it, which is a good indicator, I think. It will be hard to let this little one go.

Finished puukko1.jpg

Finished puukko2.jpg