Hawk Collaboration

Hey guys, This is not something I have sole authorship over, but I thought it would be cool enough to share with you all.

These are going to be a semi-production product collaboration between me and Zach Plowman at Cutthroat Knives. My heads, his hangs.

The next heads are going to be made from 1'' rd 4140 and I believe they're going to have a small knife (one of his) on the haft instead of the fire striker, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I hope you like them!

10455293_1544169745863076_6364478253807003322_n.jpg

Thanks Isaac! I think it's rivet, I didn't make the haft and there were no holes in the eye when I sent them, so your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, here's the latest head, it was made from 1'' round 4140 and is more like a Peterson type D Viking axe. The profile and everything are all forged, this thing has had no stock removal at all other than engraving my mark on the head. It's really nice to make something and actually, like, get paid for it... lol

Sorry for crappy pic, it was a quick one.
IMG_0497 (2).JPG

Edited by Collin Miller

Really like the shape of that second one and 4140 is a good choice for an ax. Any reason for going with round stock instead of square? It'd give you more steel to work with, and not roll around on you while you're trying to punch it.

Thanks Stormcrow. I'm using round because I yanked it off of a car for free :lol: I guess it could be 1050 or something, but it hardened up well, and my client doesn't care, so I don't care. I pre drilled and slit the eye, because I knew it would roll around if I didn't.

Also, I think Zach plans on reprofiling this head a little bit on his grinder, but I don't mind. Tomorrow I'm cooking up two more heads for him, different pattern, with a pointy beard and a spike on the poll.

Here is a quick and dirty sketch of head design 3.0

IMG_0507.JPG

Here's 3.0 in metal. I made two and they're going to be profiled and ground by Zach. Let me know what you think!

IMG_0510.JPG

you are on a roll, man! looks like you are having a lot of fun, and those are cool axes/tomahawks.

kc

Thanks a lot, Kevin! I'm going to get some square, and possibly make the next batch with welded bits, it's so much easier to get the eye correct. Even though artist bladesmithing and swordsmithing is what I'm trying to pursue long term, I like making axes, more metal-whacking and less filing. :rolleyes:

But I'm working on a real grinder, and that will make cold work much better than dull files and worn out 1x42 belts. <_<

Hey everybody.
Made three more RR spike heads today, and got a hawk drift from Iron Mountain Forge. I really like the drift so far, it's better than my old axe drift is for tomahawks. One thing hat I was really impressed about the drift was how fast it dissipates heat, I guess that's one of the traits of the cast ductile iron. I highly recommend this tool for anyone who wants to make tomahawk heads.

This thread is probably getting a little boring with me just showing up every week and saying "Hey Y'all! I made another tomahawk!" so I thought I'd see if anyone would be interested in seeing kind of a blow by blow post with progress pictures before shutting down the thread. So what do you think, should I do it? I might do a Dane axe, or a viking axe, wraparound tomahawk, maybe just a working axe, I don't know, just tell me what you want to see!

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

• 1 month later...

He ordered a large bearded axe with a 2 inch round eye, so I delivered. Forged from a truck axle and I used the "L" preform technique. I don't think I'll be using that technique again, it's just a pain for me to get right. Anyway, I like the finished product. The next one I make for his if going to be a double bit axe, with forge welded bits and another two inch round eye. I've made a sheet metal pattern for the double bit, but haven't forged the head yet, soon though, it will be soon.
We've also talked about making a full sized Axe of Perun, I'm not sure where that's going, but if it does happen, it will be awesome.

The forged head,
IMG_0637.JPG

The eye,
IMG_0638.JPG

And the finished axe,
10986436_1577214532558597_6180853517029171580_n.jpg
10995922_1577214569225260_6686344322772094185_n.jpg

That came out pretty darn cool! What's the reason for the round eye?

Yes, WIPs are always fun, but I know that documenting everything can be time consuming. Take me a while just to post the finished pieces.