'Nother Gentleman's bowie

The blade for this originally I was going to try with a much bigger project than I'm capable; a Gary Mulkey-inspired historical bowie, maple ringed by copper, but proved a little too difficult to line things up just right (also I'm outta sharp drill bits and need to get more soon), so I scaled back and replaced the handle with walnut, which I got from a trade with a stock removalist (knifemaker, whatever :P ). Especial thanks to Don Abbot: I have copper for months now!!

image1.jpgimage.jpg

Wow. You are really getting good, Bro. I notice a few odd things, but the only thing I'd call a flaw would be where it appears that the shoulders aren't quite flush with the guard. This is a really beautiful piece, otherwise. Keep up the progress!

Edit to add: There is also a little unevenness in the handle. :P

Edited by James R.Fuller

Caleb, I like it! You work is improving with each and every piece. 35.gif

There is one thing that catches my eye and that is the guard, it could be the angle of the pics but, my eye says the top should be tilted towards the point more, (it looks out of square)! I think that is more of an ascetic thing for me, not really a flaw.

The human eye is very forgiving but when there is something for the eye to draw a parallel between most folks will see it right away, and some never see it!

good work. Just keep at it, and keep listening to what these guys will tell you. You are doing fine!

I love the copper.

What is the line that I see just before the polished section of the blade meets the rough section in the picture where the blade it pointed to the right with the polished cutting section facing down? Is that a reflection or something?

good work. Just keep at it, and keep listening to what these guys will tell you. You are doing fine!

I love the copper.

What is the line that I see just before the polished section of the blade meets the rough section in the picture where the blade it pointed to the right with the polished cutting section facing down? Is that a reflection or something?

I'm not quite sure, it didn't show up until sanding, but it could be a micro fold that was created in forging.

Yes! Keep at it! some good progress. Many others have mentioned some technical issues, but I'll just say that in my mind, the minute you say "gentleman's", automatically I'm thinking of a high and refined level of finish.

Caleb, I know this is exciting, making and forging blades. I've never gotten over it myself even! I would suggest however that you MAKE FEWER KNIVES; but take each one to as high a level of finish as you can, with an eye towards improving even that level the next time. You will learn MUCH more that way, as opposed to making a lot of "sketches" in steel. keep your goals modest but steady and consistent.