Nansaidh-A Million Firsts

As the title suggests, this represents a lot of new things for me... first time casting fittings, first time carving wood, first hollow grind, first double edged blade, first time setting gems, and many more. This is a gift for my mother and was originally conceived because I am obsessed with Jake Powning's work and I desperately want one of his blades, but simply lacked the funds... so in true blacksmith fashion, if you can't afford it, make it yourself. It is of course no where close to the quality of his work, but I am fairly happy with what I ended up with.

Made from...

8 rubies

6 sapphires

All pure silver fittings

Brown ebony handle and sheath

Rabbit fur lined sheath

Deer skin strap

Damascus steel blade

Way too much free time

Thanks for looking!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

• Like 6

Beautiful. I can certainly tell you spent an incredible amount of time in the detail work, which you pulled off flawlessly. I love how all the fittings and carvings of the scabbard and blade blend so well together. Awesome job.

Edited by Austin_Lyles

Wow!! I am also a Jake Powning fan, I think you did great!

I agree - wow - that is a serious piece. great to see what you can do when you stretch a bit, isn't it?

kc

Excellent work and something to be proud of! I was born in Owensboro and lived there for almost 18 years so it's great to see someone from my hometown doing such talented work.

Edit to add: being from Owensboro I can understand the too much free time problem!

Edited by Josh Brannen
  • Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Simply beautiful and way too complex to take in all the detail in a pic. It is something to sit and contemplate. Mother must be very proud when she wears such a gift of love  and can say "my son made it for me"

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Like 1
On 8/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, Doug Lester said:

That is some incredible eye candy.

Good to see JD posting again.  If you get some praise from him it means something.

Doug

Thank you. That was an older comment from JD, but it meant a lot to hear that from him when I was still relatively new to the craft

On 8/29/2020 at 9:08 AM, Richard van Dijk said:

Nice work, it is amazing how much work this carving is it not.

Thanks! It really is, had no idea what I was getting myself into with the carving, really glad I did it though, have had a lot of fun with woodcarving since then