• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
MLenaghan

Little Scrappy, Kith Puukko W.I.P.

Hey guys I liked the idea of using scrap and had some odds and ends all over the place, so pretty much smashed it all together... :D

I have no idea the layer count but it has 5 folds and a tight twist thrown in mid way, everything from 1075,1084,1095, air cooling bandsaw blade, W1,15n20 and maybe even some mild! Most the bits are from my multi bar swords, some core ends and the fishmouth weld left overs.

I'm looking forward to this KITH! B) I'll let the pics speak for themselves

IMG_20150210_130143_01.JPG20150210_132839_resized_01.JPG

20150210_140345_resized_01.JPG20150210_141257_resized_01.JPG

20150210_150840_resized_01.JPG Happy forging!

Edited by MLenaghan

Awesome man! I may have to follow your lead on the scrap thing :)

I agree! Although my own scrap pile is horribly less interesting B)

Great progress so far, I'm excited to see what you do with it!

John

Man, you have got some skills. How hard is it to forge weld all those pieces with all the gaps? I mean I've seen Japanese swordsmiths do it, but it still makes me scratch my head. Great work BTW

Nice one Micheal! I like the idea alot, but I'm going to refrain from joining the kith this year since I always pull out at the end anyway. Eagerly looking forward to seeing how this one progresses

awesome Mike , probably hard to walk away from this project for even the shortest of breaks !!!!

waiting patiently !!

Hey thanks alot guys, Looking foward to see everyone elses too!

Matt the welding wasn't that bad, hitting it really hard helps. It took two folds befor it felt really solid and the twist seemed to lock everything in. I'm a believer in that the forge can smell your fear so you need the right mind set befor tackling stuff like this :P

Common Luke! you've done great birch bark handles befor plus I'd like the chance of getting a knife from you...

I'm going to refrain from joining the kith this year since I always pull out at the end anyway.

When you said that, I realized I do the same thing B) No reason not at least try. Besides, I'm sure your fiery beard could shed out a little puukko without you even noticing!

ok ok, geeze...if you were thinking of sicking Nate on me...I will try, but no promises. Not putting my name down though until I make something.

Now get back to work Micheal!

I'm a believer in that the forge can smell your fear so you need the right mind set befor tackling stuff like this :P

You are absolutely correct. I believe the single most important thing in fire-welding is confidence... I have an ever growing pile of scrap I'm going to do this with someday.

I'm looking forward to this one.

Michael, did you wrap the scrap before you started welding it all together? I just tried something similar yesterday and hot pieces went everywhere with the first hammer blow.

Thanks again guys!

Michael I actually didn't wrap it, but I used my press on the first pass cause I know it's gentle... well as gentle as 20 tons can be! The Japanese smiths will wrap there stack in rice paper soaked in clay slurry which will form a hard shell around it. Otherwise I would start with very light taps till you get the steel to stick.

so here's a little up date, the first blade didn't work out, hardened up nice but apon grinding a small but extremely annoying weld flaw showed up. I gound it away intill it was good steel in a careless moment and have a skinny whittling knife... but not a puukko! Which wouldn't be fair to give away so I started on a new blade.

Forged a San Mai outta 1084 core with a layer of 15n20 and then wrought iron sides and much happier with the out come. Gonna do the handle up with bronze fittings and birdseye maple.

Still working on the fit but heres a update

IMG_20150407_181915_01.JPG

Edited by MLenaghan

Thanks!

Well the knifes all done time for the sheath... or figure out these sheaths...

Well it's all together, there's little things I'm not too happy about... but hope you guys are ok with them. I charred the wood when sanding the back plate and thought it would sand out later and when putting everthing together the epoxy never fully got sqweezed out of the rear plate and know looks like there's a gap! and everything being such a light colour only makes it stand out that much more! There is no "real" gap its filled but just not pleased... ok I had to get that out :ph34r: and with that said, if it wasn't for the KITH I'd keep with as a EDC for myself.

IMG_20150429_172952_01.JPG

Edited by MLenaghan
  • Like 1

Awesome blade! Love the etch on the wrought, there's loads of character in there that I can never quite seem to bring out. I'm finding a few flaws in my own one, and I'm torn between keeping it as is and starting over. I don't think the black is bad, if anything it looks a bit like a thin spacer. Hope it can become my EDC :lol:

I'd been putting it off for a bit but the sheath is 90% done, still needed to be dyed and some way to attach it to your belt. First time doing a wood core in leather like that but it seemed to all come together!

IMG_20150605_184555_resized_01.JPG

• Like 1