Finally finished my first blade

Does stock removal count on this forum?

Anyway, I finished my first blade not too long ago and thought I would share it here.  I copied Aaron Gough's design because I loved the look of his knives.  I love bushcrafting, so I'm a big fan of small thin knives, so don't ask me why I made the 5.25" blade here.

It's 1/8" O1 with G10 scales, brass pins, convex edge.

This knife is the first knife I was able to sharpen to shaving sharp by hand.  Previously I'd been using a lansky because I just couldn't get the angles right even after putting hours into it.

I then used the knife to cut the leather to make a sheath for it.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Pretty nice! It took me over a year to be able to make a knife that well. Good choice starting out with simple knives, that will really boost your learning curve.

I think it looks great Caleb , good choice in steel for a first as well...........how did you finish the blade

Thanks. I just left the scale on from the heat treat. I thought it looked cool. I'm not sure if it's a bad idea or not. It was either this or polish it because I don't like prepping food with a coated knife. Not sure if steel oxide is much better though so I still might polish it.

Caleb - that is a great first knife. It took me many to get there. I am impressed. Just keep making them, and each time you take pictures, look carefully at it to see what to improve.

Pictures, and these guys on the forum, are the best sources of information for me, anyway.

good work,

kc

• 2 weeks later...

Caleb - that is a great first knife. It took me many to get there. I am impressed. Just keep making them, and each time you take pictures, look carefully at it to see what to improve.

Pictures, and these guys on the forum, are the best sources of information for me, anyway.

good work,

kc

Thanks very much. That's kind of you to say.

I'm working on my second one right now. It's basically a Bark River Ultralight Bushcrafter which I'm trying to make really pretty.

I've cut out the shape of my first original design too, but I haven't started profiling that yet. It's a paring knife, although a guy who I've shown it too called it a coping knife. I haven't seen another one like it, so I'm hoping it will work well. I think it's beautiful.

Anyway, way more info than you asked for.

Thanks for the comment.