Swords, Seaxes, Spears, and Axes!

Emiliano Carrillo

Hey everyone!

I've shared a lot of my work over the last semester on Facebook, but I've neglected my favorite forum! So many of you may have seen these by now, but I still wanna post some stuff to show!

I hope you guys enjoy what I have to share and any comments or advice are always welcome!

1.jpg

2.jpg

These first two are of a knife I forged for the retirement of a really special shop supervisor and friend who had worked 15 years at my schools shop and has made a huge impact on me and countless others. Elias Sideris did the leather stamping and Greg Kline made the box. The blade was based on an artifact I own and I decided to make it kinda fancy hence all of the brass and other embellishments.

3.jpg

4.jpg

This is the first axe I've forged based on an original I also own. This was made of mild steel with a 1095 bit and sports a welded split and wrapped eye, a welded helmdach and a lap welded bit. The little hole was hot punched and the handle turned on a wood lathe from a nice piece of white oak.

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

This next set is of a spear head that I forged and unfortunately I didn't get a full shot of this one. Mild and wrought core with 100 layer wrap of 1075 and 15n20. The socket is welded from a wrought iron sheet I forged out. Not based directly on an original but more of a study in the style. :P

8.jpg

The sword I had forged last year needed a bit of loving and I redid the handle in anticipation of a presentation I did in a viking sagas class on viking age weaponry. I forged an iron sword and showed the resilience of good steel and the tendency iron has to stay bent when you bend it. We had just finished reading Kjartan's last battle!

9.jpg

The finished sheath for the Bjarkansax! Some fun brass work and a suuuuper tight fit. It makes a really satisfying pop when you take it from the sheath and just feels right on your hip. This may be my favorite seax I've finished up.

9.6.jpg

A knife I put together in two days from a cutoff of a larger billet as a quick christmas present for my dad! The sheath is based off an original from England found from the 14th century I think? The handle is some beautiful black walnut burl and two leather spacers that almost blend in with the wood.

9.5.JPG

This was the first knife of the year, the first one I finished since getting back to school a little early this semester. A kinda fun experiment with simple sheaths! Definitely not my strong suit to design something so simple.

9.7.jpg

A small user knife I made a while back that hasn't seen much use yet!

10.jpg

A recreation of a small knife from England as seen in the book Knives and Scabbards: Medieval Finds from Excavations in London. Come to think of it the sheath for my dads knife came from that book! I managed to get all of the measurements within 1.5 mm of the original according to the book.

11.jpg

This is one of two blades that our own Mark Green sent me made from his own steel! I've been trying to think up a fitting way to handle and sheath these, though I haven't had any inspiration yet. Any ideas are welcome! I've been musing that these blades are made of pretty darn historically accurate material, so maybe a simple handle made of historically plausible wood and a simple leather sheath would do the trick?

12.JPG

This was my first shot at san mai. A viking seax with a mahogany handle and a moose bolster with a berserker face in it! beautiful thick spine, this thing is a wicked chopper. Working on the sheath for this one soon. I think this will be the beginning of a series of seaxes with faces on them, not sure yet.

13.JPG

A Petersen type Z that I'm working on! This photo is just out of the quench, but as of right now it is sitting polished to 400 grit and the wrought iron for the fittings has been roughly forged.

14.JPG

A fire striker and an elk antler ring I made recently. I ended up with two wonderful elk antlers only to find that they were almost entirely porous on the inside. Only the last inch or so of each tine has any solid bits to it.

15.JPG

A seax I recently cut down from a langseax I had forged and had sabered on me to the point of looking like a yagatan. It is now super straight and I'm very excited with how it'll turn out.

16.JPG

This is a shot of the tip polished to 600 and etched. Similar to the spear, pure iron and wrought for the twist, different wrought for the spine and a possibly super high layer edge? Most likely just 1075 though!

17.JPG

This is what the bench usually looks like when I'm working, a few knives on the bench itching to move slowly along towards completion and some drawings and raw materials sitting there waiting to transform into something more beautiful.

I've been moving more and more towards the spiritual side of bladesmithing recently. When I'm in the shop forging or polishing or fitting sheaths I'm in what feels like a daze. The day will move by as my mind slips into autopilot and my hands do the work on their own, with just the gentlest nudges from me. I like to muse that it's the ancient smiths guiding my hands and showing me the way, but maybe I'm finding it on my own?

Anyway, I'm having an awesome time creating these things and I hope you guys like them too! :D

-Emiliano

Gorgeous stuff Emiliano. One of these days you need to drive out and visit, you can see all the stuff I didnt drag with me to Fire and Brimstone last year for artifacts and we can play in the shop with my new press and power hammer, you're only an hour away =D

---

Justin "Tharkis" Mercier

www.tharkis.com

Wow! This is awesome stuff here!
These are some inspiring products, Emiliano. This place just keeps reminding me that I need to get my butt back to work. I am getting to where I can make decent (not great) work, but I take forever to get anything done. I'm mostly making axes and making tools for myself now.

A note on your super tight sheath, I've found that those sheaths need broken in. I carry my knife in a seax style sheath, and when the sheath was just finished, you could hardly get out, but now it comes in and out perfect.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

Some of these I've seen before, some are new to me, all of them are freaking cool...:)

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

Justin, I definitely want to go up and hang out! Maybe on a long weekend or something? We could make some cool stuff together :D

Collin, thanks! And you're right, that thing needs to get some use and it should loosen right up! As for taking forever to get stuff done I totally hear you on that, I often have a few projects going on at once so if I hit a wall or lose interest I can move onto something else that I am excited about and come back later. I feel like I'm just starting to get to the point that when I put something down on paper I can make it come to life in metal and wood and bone, just keep at it and tackle each new project with a ferocity and you'll get there sooner than you expect!

Alan, what can I say it's easier to browse and ask questions than post a bunch of pictures! :P

Thanks for the nomination for fiery beardyness! Now I gotta step up my game to be worthy of the beard!

And you too Zeb! Thanks for the second :)

Now I just gotta find someone to help me shop the beard onto my photo, I am awful with photoshop!

Dan, thanks! I'm glad you liked them!

Randal, thanks! That knife was pretty special, it's great seeing someone's face when you present them with something like that.

Thanks Josh! :D I'm pretty stoked and humbled and thankful all at once

Thanks George! I'm sure I'll get better about not neglecting the forum and posting some more!

Thanks again guys!

That's quite the hoard! I'm particularly fond of the spear, something which I've just started dabbling in myself. It's awesome to see you grow your beard! Well worthy indeed!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

Thanks John! I'm excited to see more spears from you, I've only made the one but I want to try some others soon! I don't know if I'm worthy yet but I've got a few things in the works that should be :D

Thanks Mike and J!

Great stuff, and congrats!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

Congrats.. setting yourself up for a nice body of work. I really like that small pointy pattern welded blade with the simple wooden handle. I like those sort of things.

Awesome stuff Emiliano!

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys!

Melf, it was found in Gotland at the bottom of a lake and is supposedly 10-11th century!

Einar, thanks! The combination of wrought iron and pure iron really does it for me :)

Thank you so much!! would you mind if I make a version for my personal usage? It would fit perfectly with my lamellar belt/ viking outfit.

• 3 months later...