Justin leonard

Built a pit forge using charcoal

Well I built my first solid fuel forge as well it work a little too well

I melted the steel I was working on because I cut it to short to grab im going to have to buy a dimmer or rheostat of some kind for my hairdryer to help control the speed I suppose

Well I found the melted tip and I thing some contamination in the charcoal looks like copperimage.jpgimage.jpg

Buying a hair dryer with 3 speed settings built in is a much easier way to control speed, worked for me any way. Looking good!

It has three didn't bother to look before next time I'll try low or med instead of high plus some actual coal because I just about burnt out all of my charcoal that I had made on the test fire only had about three pounds to begin with though

Is that garden hose between the blower and pit? If so a ball valve from you're local big box store will act like a blast gate to regulate the air.

ron

YA so my blower is an old power steering fluid can the fits just right in the female end of the garden hose. The hose is then fed into a black iron pipe to avoid any issues with galvanized metal all powered by a hair dryer with three speeds I'm happy with the action and all he blower parts can be removed and the pit refugees else where for convenience now all I need is a good solid base for my two peices of steel that make up different size anvils and some tongs ( or vice grips) to be able to grab the metal

I would suggest you use Royal Oaks charcoal. It can be found in wal-mart and in home depot. It is really good, burns long and burns hot. I've forge welded with it easily.

YA I bought a bag for my OL smoky grill I'm using it now to play with some rebar so I can see how the gamer hits work

First the little hole in action again with rebar image.jpg

And my tapered scrolled and twisted end result first actual forging I've ever doneimage.jpg

Thanks I'm Trying it's been a blast you till I hit my pipe with the steel and caused it to blow sparks in my face lot so cool

nice work on that scroll Justin!

I remember when i used a galvanized pipe for air in a pit... nothing worked for me. i remember melting the sand the piece of steel i was working with and the pipe all into one abomination hahaha ... wasn't funny at the time.

One thing i did learn is that one never leaves your forge unattended.

Also just a tip if you did not know..... note this is what i experienced.. once you turn off the air flow the temperature rises. I melted steel this way, turning the blower off and leaving the piece im working on in the forge.

Hot sand blowing into your eyes because of too much air pressure also real dangerous. :excl:

Other than that... have fun!

Well llike I'm currently in the process of revamping the design a bit ought now to allow pas through of longer steels just not sure how that's gonna work yet any ideas

Well you could use this method which i think could work beautifully if you do the planning correct.

http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHING/FORGE%20BUILDING.HTM

If you can get some furnace cement you can also build some walls with sand and put the cement over it... this will help keep the sand out the forge if you have cement at the base.

I would make it thin and long so i do not use too much charcoal and keep heat from escaping.

YA that is mostly what I had in mind just hadn't been able to figure out a way to get started im still doing some work on paper to figure out a design that I can build in a weekend that the kids can't destroy when they go play outside

..... Build a Moat around the forge haha

I only built one pit and decided to not make one on the ground due to the water pipes, so i hope that link helps...

I would try and make a shallow pit that's large enough for me to walk in and then build the forge in the middle where i can work... if you have lots of space. let me see if i can draw sum plans and show you what i would do.. im not sure if there are any info on the forums already on this subject, but try and ask a few people for pictures of what their forge looks like.. im sure you'll find some inspiration

Well I just want to get it where I can have a blade up to 15" or so and be able to heat treat it

Elevate your pit. Put it on a table, in other words.

That's kinda my idea building a frame to cast a sand form I saw something like that on Google with a twin bellows system

Here's one I threw together:

charcoal%20forge.jpg

The sheet metal sides were just a temporary measure. A good clay trench would be fine.

Don

This was what I thouht about image.jpg with out the hand bellows I don't have a second person to help build or man them

Don has a nice one going there.

maybe try making something like that and build a small wall and put the bellows on the other side of the wall.

At the end of the day you need to make one that will work for you.

this is similar to what i had for my first forge with bigger blower and open at the back so I was able to put a long piece in.

FPE45YDDBBET9K4WIT.LARGE.jpg

if you are using bellows you might want to consider using sumthing like this where you can pull on a chain so you can be infront of the forge. or even extend it down to the floor and attach to a peddle .

bellow.jpg

83twoBellowsSmForgeSm.jpg

Actually Loki that second one you have there with the two large dirt mounds I really like seems simple and effective with too much fuel to keep it burning