IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
grpaavola

Scrap wrought file puukko

Hiya Guys,

Yesterday I started my puukko for the KITH. I had an old file and wrought lying around and thought "why not?". I have never forge welded wrought and steel together before and yesterday was a bit of the ol' trial by fire (sorry, just had to be said).

I got them welded up, so far so good, but now I got to forge out the shape. I am using Charcoal but can just as easily switch to coal with an old brick 1800's style forge and hand bellows. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers or advice on forging it out (i.e. how hot should I be working the steel and wrought billet)?

-Gabriel

This sounds like a fun project! I'm excited to see what you come out with.

The iron will definitely move faster than the steel, but if you treat it right you ought to come out with something very cool.

So been a while since I started this project, but here it is for your consideration.

I hope this is acceptable...

and still working on the sheath but

IMG_20150609_193403625_HDR_zpsds5dwxxe.jIMG_20150609_193711129_zpsiktqbfzz.jpgIMG_20150609_193726028_zps6rr1yqkg.jpg

The handle is all black cherry that grows like wild fire here in my neck of the woods. The caps are wrought. Blade is a Nicholson file and wrought.

Sorry for the poor quality of pictures, it is the best I can do here at home with my phone.

Let me know what y'all think...

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

You'z guy'z is makin' me nervous...

Any thoughts?

-g

The blade is quite beautiful, nicely shaped and finished. The handle, to my eye, looks a bit bulky/fat compared to the blade.

Yup...

Totally see that.

It is a narrow blade 7/8ths across. Blade length is 3 7/16ths and over all 7 5/8ths inches. I was thinking utility blade, but I guess scar on my pinky finger was getting the better of me. My only complaint of puukko's is the lack of a guard. When I was younger I had prepped a fish for cooking and stuck the knife into my cutting board and off slipped my hand into the edge of my puukko. Right at the second joint, deep enough to be a bitch to heal, but not lose a tendon.

Next time I will keep that in mind! Thanks George!

-Gabriel

Edited by grpaavola

My KITH is done!

A better photo with the sheath!

Gabriel%20Puko%203_zpsypdmdu6h.jpg

and what I started with...

IMG_20150218_110354687_zps4w6hkwif.jpg

I have to say... my wife takes much better photos than me!

I hope who ever gets this is happy, and has many many years of use with this blade!

-Gabriel

Gabriel, other than the blade to handle size ratio I gotta say I'm really digging the rustic feel of this. A look I'm trying to cultivate myself. Well done.

Nice lamination, looking really good. I have to get a move on mine!!

John!

Coming from you that means a lot!

Thank you!

For some reason I didn't think you were doing this KITH...

After seeing your short sword, I am hoping I get your entry.

So yeah! MOVE MAN!

-G

:)

Likewise!